Part Thirteen

Alyssa groaned as her alarm woke her Monday morning, at the usual time of six o'clock. She turned over and hit the dismiss button on her phone. Alyssa lie there for a while, then finally got out of bed. She walked to the kitchen, looked through the fridge and pantry, then settled on a rice cake and banana. She walked back to her room and went back to bed, although she didn't sleep. She began to watch Grey's Anatomy and eat, then pulled her phone out to text Nathan.
S:....I'm watching Grey's Anatomy. I'm sucked in. Why did you do this to me?! She said.
Alyssa put her attention back to the TV, when a few minutes later, Nathan replied. N: I'm always happy to help ;)
Alyssa smiled, then put the phone down. By then, she was done. She got up and went to her dresser. Alyssa blindly grabbed a plain, white shirt and jeans, as well as a pair of socks that didn't match and threw them on, tossing her pajamas into her hamper. She walked over to her mirror and brushed her hair quickly and checked for anything on her face.
Alyssa went to the bathroom and brushed her teeth, then walked back to her room, slipping on some shoes after she sat down.
"Alyssa!" Her mom called. Alyssa looked at her phone, 7:15. She wasn't late to start walking to school.
Alyssa slung her bag over her shoulder, and ran down the stairs. She then stopped as she saw Nathan leaning against the open doorway.
"Hey," he said with a smirk. "I was wondering if you wanted to walk with me."
"Us!" Lilah corrected him, popping up behind her brother.
Nathan sighed, then stood up straight. "Do you want to?"
"Yes!" Alyssa's mom called out before her daughter could answer.
Alyssa turned, then called out "Bye mom!" as she closed the door. They stepped out on the front porch, and Lilah began humming, her fingers lightly brushing the grooves on the doorbell. Nathan leaned down, cupped Alyssa's cheek and kissed her soft lips. He whispered good morning to her, his dissipating breath tickling her.
"Ew!" Lilah called out, staring at the couple.
Alyssa pulled back and giggled, covering her mouth. "Grow up! You're in sixth grade!" Nathan said, whipping around.
Lilah crossed her arms and let out a grunt. "You're mean!" She said.
Alyssa walked forward and bent her knees to get at the middle-schooler's height. "It's fine, come on." She said in a soothing voice. "Your school is right next to the high school, I'll be here the entire way to make sure he won't bug you." Alyssa said with a smirk, pointing her thumb towards her boyfriend.
She stood back up, and they began to walk. Lilah was behind them, Alyssa and Nathan holding hands. Lilah sighed, then ran up between them, causing their hands to seperate completely. Nathan grunted, Lilah running up, forcing Nathan to walk behind them.
For the rest of the walk, Nathan was silent as Lilah and Alyssa talked about little things, like camp, singing, and of course, Nathan. "Hey, I have a question." Lilah said, looking up to Alyssa.
"Hey, I have an answer." Alyssa replied. Nathan groaned loudly, then put a pair of earbuds in and began music.
happy for Nathan's distraction, she asked "Do you like my brother?"
Alyssa thought for a moment, looked back at Nathan, then said "I really do. Why do you ask?"
"He really, really, really likes you. He told me. Well actually, I heard him saying that to my mom. She had the same question. but about you. I don't think our mom wants you two to date. She says it's a distraction."
Alyssa felt the heat rush to her cheeks. She couldn't stop a smiling from forming across her lips, although her mind was swimming with questions about what Lilah said. She shook it off, then slowed her pace slightly, so either one of them wouldn't notice. She let Lilah ahead, then walked with Nathan, grabbing his hand and gave it a squeeze of assurance as he looked up quizzically. He took out an earbud, then asked if they were talking about him, a smirk on his face.
"No..." Lilah said, voice trailing off.
Nathan looked at Alyssa, who just smiled and shook her head. "Here, listen to this." Nathan said, putting an earbud in Alyssa's free hand, who then placed it in her ear. They walked together, both their fingers laced together, and music shared.
They arrived in front of the middle school, and Lilah walked herself in, the couple not bothering to stop. They continued walking, and arrived soon after at the high school. Alyssa stopped in front of their usual table outside of the band room, and took out the earpiece. Alyssa turned around and faced the building, and saw Stephanie.
"Hey-" Alyssa began, but Stephanie was already walking away.
Nathan lightly pulled her arm towards him, turning her around. He gave her a small kiss on the lips, and Alyssa pulled back. She couldn't stop her lips from curing into a smile, and Nathan did the same. They sat down with their friends who looked at them, then where Stephanie had walked away, then back at them, face somewhat worried. Alyssa shook her head lightly, telling them not to worry.
Alyssa furrowed the back of her head into where Nathan's shoulder met his chest, and Nathan had his arm draped around her. They sat like that, lightly conversing with the people in front of them, but mostly stayed silent. The first bell rang, signaling that school was just beginning.