Part Sixteen

Alyssa stepped out of the steaming shower, happy to be warm and clean. It was ten o'clock. Her parents have been home for a while, and they've already had dinner. She quickly dried off, and got dressed in a pair of old pajamas. She hastily attempted to dry her hair with her damp towel as she walked to her room. Inside, she threw her towel over her desk chair and plopped down on her bed, instantly regretting it because of her throbbing head. Alyssa threw off the covers and got under the cold sheets. She plopped her head down and faced the center of her room. Reaching to her night stand, she clicked off the small desk lamp that was giving off a soft light in her otherwise dark room. She sighed, then resumed her previous position. Alyssa let her eyelids droop close as they slowly became heavier until they felt almost glued shut. Giving in, Alyssa went into a deep sleep, her chest rhythmically rising and falling to each breath.

~~~~~~

(A/N: I'm switching point of views, sorry.)

Nathan woke up the next morning. It was Tuesday, and Jake's party was that night. He turned his loud alarm off, and sat up. Nathan reached for his phone; there was a text from Alyssa.
A: hey, I'm not feeling well, so I'm staying home today. You can still go to the party, don't worry about me :)
N: You sure..? Because I can just not go, and hang out with you.
A: You can't get sick.
N: *sigh* ok, get better beautiful
A: I'm not very beautiful right now..
N: You always are
Nathan smiled. He really liked Alyssa, and he always has since the end of eighth grade. Nathan quickly got dressed and took long strides to get to the kitchen. Lilah was there, sitting at the table packing her backpack. "Hello." Lilah said with out looking up. Nathan only groaned in response. He leaned down and swooped his backpack over his shoulder. "You need to eat. Mom says so." His sister said, looking up at him.
"I'm not hungry, and you're not in charge. Plus, mom isn't home. Calm down." Nathan snapped.
Lilah stood, and placed her hands on her hips, rolling her eyes. She grabbed her bag and slipped the straps over both shoulders. "Come on, I don't want to be late because we have to go get your girlfriend." Lilah told him as she stretched, putting emphasis on the word girlfriend.
"Shes not going to be at school today. She's sick." Nathan grumbled. He walked towards the front door and swung it open. "Come on." Nathan said without turning around. Lilah swiped her lunch off of the counter and bounded out the door after him, closing it as she crossed the threshhold.
The day went by quickly. Nathan sat with his friends during lunch, but remained out of the conversations, not caring about the topics. As usual, Nathan completed all of the work in his classes, and time seemed to have yet to slow down. The final bell rang, and Nathan shot up out of his seat. He slung his back pack over his shoulder and headed outside, going to the library. He walked across the campus silently. Nathan sighed as he entered the library and sat at the first empty table he saw. He sat, immediately pulled out his phone.
N: How are you doing? He texted Alyssa. Moments later, she replied.
A: I definitely could be better, but I'll live.
N: I would like to date someone alive, please
A: Can do <3
Nathan let out a small chuckle, then slipped the phone into his pocket. He pulled out all of his notebooks and binders and began his homework. He stayed like that until four thirty, which he usually did after school most days.
Nathan popped his neck, then stood up. He shuffled all his papers and supplies into one pile, which he then placed into his bag. Nathan looked around the library; it was nearly empty. He zipped his back pack shut, slung it over his should, and walked out of the library. As Nathan walked out of the library, the cold was like a slap across the face. He shoved his hands into his pockets and kept his head down in a failed attempt to keep the wind from stinging his face like a thousand needles. The walk home was quick, and Nathan had nothing in mind as he trudged his way through the gray environment.
Nathan threw his back pack off and closed his front door and let out a small shiver. He stood there for a second, then went to his room. Nathan kicked his shoes off and lie down on his back. Almost immediately, his eye lids dropped closed, and he fell asleep.
Hours later, Nathan sat up. It was dark out, and the orange street lamps outside created lines along the walls of his room as they bled through the cracks in the blinds.
Nathan stretched his arms and popped his back, letting out a sigh of relief. The clock on the nightstand read eight thirty. The party started at ten, and Jake lived on the same block as him.
Nathan flopped back down, and turned the TV on with the remote on the ground next to the bed. He flipped around on the different channels, and eventually settled with Grey's Anatomy. After he was nearly finished with that episode, his phone sounded.
Bzzzzz his phone went, sounding hollow on the wooden surface it was on. He picked it up, and read the message.
Alyssa: hey :)
A: Isn't the party soon?
N: It's at ten. Don't worry :)
A: If you say so... ;) :P
They continued texting as Nathan watched TV, somehow paying close attention to both. He loved talking to his girlfriend; their conversations may sometimes be odd, but they were interesting and fun. He could always look forward to talking with Alyssa.
This continued for hours; texting watching Grey's Anatomy.
When Nathan glanced at the clock, he sat up quickly. It was almost eleven. Nathan groaned; he didn't care about being late for the party, but it was on a school night. "Whatever." He muttered to himself.
N: Ok, I'm heading over to Jake's. If I don't text tonight when I get home, I'll see you tomorrow.
A: :) Have fun, and stay safe
N: Get better soon <3
Nathan unplugged his phone from the charger and clicked off the TV, and darkness began to settle in the room as the television quickly dimmed. Nathan stood, and walked across the house to the front door. His mom knew he was going to Jake's, but wasn't aware it was a party. Even if she knew, his mother wouldn't care if he drank or smoked. His father used to be a heavy alcoholic with a drug problem. Nathan's dad died shortly before Lilah's birth, and Nathan is happy he's no longer around; his dad only brought trouble.
Nathan quickly slipped on his shoes and a sweatshirt, then quietly walked out the door, shutting it slowly. His nose burned from the cold. Nathan began the short walk down the block to Jake's house. He shoved his cold hands into his pockets, and squinted his eyes at the bright lights above. The street lights created a soft orange glow as they reflected off of the rained-on pavement and street. He took a deep breath in, enjoying the subtle scent of petrichor that surrounded him. Nathan loved the rain. He turned the corner of the street and headed up the empty driveway. Nathan arrived at the front door, and stood there. Loud music was blasting from indoors, and he couldn't recognize the song that was playing. Nathan took a deep breath and raised a fist, about to knock. As his hand was inches from the wood, the door swung open. Standing in front of him was Stephanie, swaying to the music and spilling the caramel-colored drink in the red cup that was being loosely gripped by her freshly manicured hand. Stephanie gasped, then hiccuped. "Nathan!" she slurred. "I was waiting for you!" With that, Stephanie grabbed the front of Nathan's sweatshirt and pulled him inside the crowded house full of drunk, dancing teens, ending in the front door slamming shut behind them.