Part Twelve

Alyssa and Nathan walked together out of the school, hand in hand. "Do you want to talk ab-"
"I don't want to say anything about what just happened." Alyssa said in a monotonous voice, staring ahead. "I don't. All I will say is how she was my best friend. I can't believe I let a guy get between us. I never thought that I would be that kind of a person; that kind of a friend." Alyssa sighed, then continued "I don't care. I'm done caring. I was having an amazing night, I don't want to ruin it. Yes, I'm not looking forward to seeing her tomorrow, but I'll live. Do you want to know why? Because I don't care."
Nathan thought for a moment, then said "Ok. If that's what you want, I respect it completely."
Alyssa stayed quiet, and gave Nathan's fingers a tight squeeze of reassurance. They continued walking, with no words exchanged. Alyssa began to think, why are they always silent? When they would somethimes go over to each others house, walk home, or any time they were together, they were always talking about something. Alyssa shrugged it off as they walked up the driveway of her empty house.
They stopped by the unlocked front door and they turned to face each other. Nathan was holding on to both her hands, each other giving a large grin. Alyssa stared into his eyes, then quickly looked down at her feet. That was abruptly ended when Nathan stepped forward, tilted her head up with his hand on the back of her head and gave her a passionate kiss. Alyssa quickly closed her eyes and placed her hands on Nathan's shoulders as his other hand went to the small of her back, their lips interlocking a few more times. Alyssa pulled away, needing a moment to catch her breath. She kept her forehead against his, noses barely brushing. After a second, she stood up straight and leaned against the wall, chest heaving.
Nathan stood there with a smirk on his face, eyes watching as every exhale sent a cloud of swirling air into the cold night.
"I uh...I should go in...Do you want to?" Alyssa stammered, finger tips lightly grazing her tingling lips.
"Sure." Nathan smiled. He leaned across Alyssa reaching for the door handle, hand barely grazing her stomach, causing her to let out a light gasp. He chuckled, then opened the door for her. "After you, beautiful." He told her. Alyssa's eyes lingered on him, then she walked in, and Nathan closed the door to the sleeping house after the both crossed the threshold.
Alyssa kicked off her shoes by the door then walked to the kitchen. Nathan took a second to untie his shoes and placed them next to Alyssa's, then joined her in the kitchen. She was looking through the fridge, and looked up when Nathan came in. She placed two waters on the counter and a bowl of green grapes. Nathan leaned against the granite, and Alyssa hopped up and sat on the edge of it next to him, popping a grape in her mouth. "Now, why the counter?" Nathan asked Alyssa, eyebrows furrowed.
"I'm always shorter than you, and everyone else. It makes me feel tall." With that, Alyssa put her hands on her slender waist jokingly with fake determination in her voice. She giggled, then dropped her hands.
"Well, from there," Nathan began. "I can't kiss you." He said picking her up by the waist, swung her around, and set her down on the ground, just inches from one another. Alyssa went on her tiptoes and placed a kiss on his lips, then walked to the couch in the living room with her water and snack in hands, leaving Nathan's untouched bottle on the counter.
Alyssa sat down, and Nathan sat next to her. She kicked her feet up in the couch and half-lie on Nathan, hands on his chest. Alyssa let out a sigh of centent, then reached for the remote on the side of the couch. Alyssa turned the TV on, and flipped through the channels, and then went on Netflix. "What would you like to watch?" Alyssa said.
"Hmm...Grey's Anatomy? You've never watched it. It has ruined my life." "Nathan said after thinking for a moment.
Alyssa searched for it, then began the first episode. They watched it in silence, curled up with one another. When the credits began, Nathan shifted on the couch and Alyssa sat up. She yawned, then stood, stretching her arms and back. Nathan rose, meanwhile grabbing Alyssa's soft hand to hold. He kissed her on the forehead softly, then said "I should get going. I'll text my dad." With that, Nathan pulled out his phone from his pocket and texted his father. Almost immediately, he got a response.
I'll be there in a few minutes. The reply said.
Nathan put his phone away, then wrapped his arms around Alyssa, and she did the same. "I am so lucky to have you," he whispered. "So lucky."
"Come on," Alyssa said breaking their warm embrace. "Let's go to the frog porch and wait." She grabbed Nathan's hand and led him to the front door, and outside. Nathan closed the door behind them then sat in the porch swing. He patted his lap softly, and Alyssa giggled as she sat his lap. Their lips interlocked again, warmth spreading through Alyssa's face. She ran her fingers through his hair, and Nathan kept his hands still and flat against her back. They were quickly interrupted by the car horn sounding in the driveway. Alyssa gave Nathan one more quick peck on the lips, then let him stand up. "Bye Nathan, thank you for today." Alyssa said with a smile.
"Bye, beautiful." Nathan said, lips curling into a smile. He then turned in his heels and walked to the car and got in. Alyssa waited for the car to pull out of the driveway and go down the street, then got up and went inside.