Part Eight

The next morning, Alyssa woke up, and smiled. So much happened yesterday, and all night she tossed and turned, trying to comprehend it all. Her phone buzzed on the wooden desk across the room, and she threw the blankets off herself, and retrieved the device. It was a text from Nathan.
N: Hey :)
Alyssa smiled, and quickly replied.
A: Hello.
N: ....hi :P
A: lol, weirdo. What's up?
N:....idk
N: I was just thinking about yesterday, which led me to thinking about you.
A: ahh, I see. How'd you sleep?
N: there wasn't any.
Alyssa began to type her response, when Nathan's picture showed up, calling her.
"Hey, what's up?" Alyssa spoke as she picked up the phone.
"Hey, sorry. I just felt like talking over the phone would be better. I have a question..." Nathan said, voice trailing off.
Curious, Alyssa asked,"Yeah?"
"So you know the fall carnival tomorrow at the high school, right? I was just wondering if you wanted to go-" He explained.
Interrupting him, Alyssa happily said"That sounds fun!"
"You didn't let me finish." Nathan said, pausing. He took a shaky breath, then finished, "...as my date."
Alyssa nodded, then realized he couldn't see that. "I would love that. I'll meet you in front of the school tomorrow before it starts, ok?"
"Sounds perfect." Nathan said, smiling.
Alyssa let out a small giggle, then told him thank you, and good bye after a short bit of silence.
Alyssa continued her day normally, mostly consisting of homework, chores, and TV, ending up going to bed around eleven, resulting in only a little bit of sleep throughout the night because of excitment.
~~~
Bzzzzz
Alyssa's phone woke her up, it being a text from her mom.
Hey honey, it looks like dad and I are going to be out of town for a little longer for grandma's funeral. You'll be staying at Katherine's house tonight. Love you!
Katherine was Alyssa's close friend, so it was no question as to why her parents told her to stay there. Katherine was in leadership, so she would be running one of the booths at the carnival tonight. Alyssa would just meet up with her after. She glanced down once more at her phone, and saw it was ten fifteen. The carnival starts at six.
Alyssa walked to the bathroom and began the bath water, plugging the drain soon after. She went back to her room and retrieved a pair of blue shorts and a light gray tank top, which she brought to the bathroom. Even though she was home alone, Alyssa closed and locked the bathroom doors, and turned off the faucet. She peeled off her pajamas and stepped into the hot bath.
A half hour later, a clean, lavender-scented Alyssa walked out of the bathroom, an orange towel around her head. She walked into her room and sat at her desk. Just at that moment, her phone rang; it was Stephanie calling.
"Hey!" The familiar perky voice said from the other end of the phone. "Do you want to go to the carnival tonight?"
"Uh, I ca-" Alyssa stammered.
Stephanie quickly interrupted her "I asked Nathan, but he said no, so here I am!"
"No." Alyssa said sternly. "I'm going with someone else, it's a date. Ok?"She said, irritated and hurt.
Stephanie stayed silent. "Awesome! Hey, I actually wanted to talk to you."
"Ok...feel free."
Stephanie took a deep breath, then said "I really like Nathan." Alyssa remained silent. "He's so nice, and funny, oh, and smart too!" Stephanie sighed, then giggled.
"I have to go. Bye..." Alyssa said slowly as she hung up the phone.
Alyssa sighed, eyes watering. She wiped her eyes, then plopped herself on the bed.