Part Seventeen

Nathan immediately regretted his decision to attend the party. It was loud, hot, and stuffy. Nathan groaned, he wasn't enjoying himself. The teens around him were drunk, and bounced around to the music more than actual dancing. Nathan made his way over. to one of the couches, thankful for the open seat. He plopped down, and rested his arm on the side of the couch.
Stephanie was jumping her way through the crowd, all while spilling her drink. She spotted Nathan on the couch, but he had yet to see her. She quickly ran over, and threw herself into the empty space next to him. "Hi, what's up?" Stephanie slurred. Nathan made a face, her breath smelled heavily of beer, and other drinks. She saw a half empty bottle of tequila on the side of the sofa. Stephanie sadly looked down at her empty cup, then back at Nathan who was staring at her. She gave him a big smile, and shoved her cup into his hand. The drink teen hiccuped, then bent down for the bottle, resulting in her falling down before she could grab it. Stephanie giggled, and wiped her mouth. "Oops! I'm just really sloppy all the time." With that, Stephanie grabbed the bottle and took a long swig from it.
"No, you're sloppy when you're drunk." Nathan said, leaning down to help her up back on the couch. When he got her situated, Stephanie leaned up against him with her feet on the couch, and cradled the bottle in her arms. She couldn't help herself from hiccuping.
By then, Nathan could see how bad of a shape the party was in. Drugs could be easily seen, cigarettes were in play, and everyone there was underage and drunk. "I'm going home." Nathan said, standing. Stephanie fell over and was then laying on the couch, hysterical with laughter. "And I'm bringing you home, as well." Nathan told her. He grabbed the bottle out of Stephanie's loose grasp, and she let out a whine. Nathan placed it on the ground, and reached for Stephanie's outstretched hands. He hoisted her up, and she nearly fell over. They hobbled together outside, and into the fresh air. Stephanie looked over at Nathan, and lightly touched the brim of his nose. "Boop!" She cried out. Nathan groaned, and Stephanie placed a finger over his lips. "Shh." She whispered. "It's too chilly billy." Stephanie slurred into his ear. With that, she let out a big shiver. Nathan sat her down on the bench on the front porch and took off his sweatshirt. He handed it to Stephanie, who let out a loud, drunk giggle. She held it in her hands, and fumbled around with it in a failed attempt to put it on. Nathan walked over, and helped her slip the large piece of gray cloth over her head, and each arm into their correct slot in the long, worn out sleeves. Finally finished, Nathan leaned against the pillar across from her.
"Come here." Stephanie pouted with her bottom lip stuck out. She patted the spot next to her on the wooden bench with a smile spread across her face. Nathan stood there for a moment, then walked over to where she was, and sat on the opposite side of the bench in an attempt to keep a large amount of distance between them.
Finally breaking the silence, Nathan spoke up. "You should tell someone to come pick you up. You live across town, and I want you to get home safe."
Stephanie pulled her phone out and tossed it to Nathan. "Text...text my sister. She...her name is uuhh...Amanda. Text her to pick me up. Say it exactly like that. 'Pick me up'" Nathan did what she asked; he just wanted to go home. Alyssa slid over to Nathan, and layed on his chest. She stayed like that, ignorant to how uncomfortable Nathan was with all of this. Stephanie sat up, and Nathan's eyes darted down to her hand on his knee. She leaned in, and Nathan pushed her back. "You're drunk." Stephanie didn't care.
She leaned back in, and Nathan cupped his hand around the back of her head, and the other on her lower waist. Stephanie had both hands on Nathan's shoulders as she leaned in and whispered "I don't care." With that, they both filled in the last few inches of space, and their lips interlocked like two pieces of a complex puzzle.