Chapter 1

Alicia’s POV

“How could he do this to us!” I raged as I began to throw anything in sight across the room. “Miss, please calm down. Charges will be pressed if you go any further.” Our former butler, Samuel, told me. “How could you let this happen Samuel? Your were supposed to be our friend! I thought of you as family! And you let him drop us like this. Shame on you Samuel!” I yelled as I grabbed my mother’s hand and dragged her upstairs to her former room.

“Stop your crying! It’s over now, there’s nothing we can do!” I said as I sat next to her. “I thought he loved me!” She whimpered in a barely audible voice. “Mama! Will you stop! There is nothing to be done now! It’s all gone and done for!” I semi-yelled. “But-“ She began.  “No buts.” I cut her off. “Now, get up and start packing your bags. They’re going to call the cops on us if we try anything. Hurry and get ready to go.” I said as I was walking out of the room.

Once I arrived to my room, I sat at my desk and wrote in my journal for the last time in that house…

“Dear diary,

                Nathan recently passed as you know and he left us nothing in the will. Where are we supposed to go? What will we do? Our family disowned us as soon as they found out that my mother was marrying an older white man. I saw nothing wrong with it, but now I wish I would have went with my family. Whom we have no contact whatsoever with. I don’t know how we’re going to make it. We have no money or jobs. I’m too young to get a job and my mother has no working skills. She never had to work a day in her life. When she was younger her parents wanted her to work on her studies. Straight after high school, she met Nathan, he told her she would never have to work. So she didn’t. Everything has been done for us, our whole life. You might be wondering why I keep calling him Nathan, it’s because he’s my step father. I have no clue who my real father is. It was a hit and run with my mother. Pathetic. But now, I have to go before the authorities come. Goodbye for a while journal.”

I began to start packing my things after my journal entry, until there was a knock at the door. “What?” I snarled because I already knew who it was, Samuel. “What?” I yelled because there was no reply. I got up and stomped over to my door, “WHAT?” I screamed in his face. “What do you want Samuel?” I said out of breath. “I just came up here to tell you that you aren’t allowed to take anything out of the house. It says so at the bottom of the will.” He said in a low voice as a tear ran down his face.

“Not surprising! Just give me some time to say my goodbyes please.” I said. “Very well miss.” He replied. “Don’t call me miss, you don’t work for me anymore.” “Sorry, Alicia!” He said as more tears danced around his cheeks. My heart softened because I knew I would miss him, and I couldn’t leave without being on good terms with Samuel. “I’m sorry Sam! I really am! I didn’t mean to disrespect you or hurt you, I’m just upset and hurt and angry and-“ “I understand Alicia!” “I’m sorry!” I cried as I walked towards him. “Forgive me?” I said as I gestured to him for a handshake. He pulled me into a warm embrace.” Shhh! Don’t cry sweetheart! Everything will be alright!” He whispered into my hair.

“Don’t let them make us leave Sam! I thought you would always be there for me!” I whispered in his chest. “I will always be with you, but I can’t do anything about this. It isn’t in my authority. I’m just the butler. What can I do?” He reasoned. “You aren’t just the butler to me. You’re my uncle, brother, father, grandfather, my best friend. You have more power than you think.” I replied. “I’m sorry Leecy. I can’t do anything. Goodbye now!” He called me by my nickname as he released his grip from around me and walked away. “Please!” I pleaded as I fell to my knees. He looked at me, sighed, and walked out. I could see the hurt in his eyes. He really wanted to help me, but he couldn’t.