Chapter 2

Shelly’s POV

“Okay, thank you!” I took the phone from him and began to speak into the phone.

Phone Conversation

“Hello?” I said nervously into the phone.

“Hey, Shelly?” He asked.

“Yeah, umm. It’s me!” I replied.

“Who was that that answered the phone?” He said.

“I have to go. Bye!” I said in a rushed tone before hanging up.

End of Phone Conversation

I handed the phone back to Mr. Bradshaw. “Thank you!” I said with a smile. “Yeah, whatever!” He snarled and snatched the phone out of my hand. After he left I closed the door and sat down in my previous spot. “This is a disaster!” I sighed. “I hope this all works out!” Alicia replied. “Me too hun! But tell me about your day!” I said trying to be cheerful. “It was pretty good!” She said before she started rambling about her day. I zoned out and didn’t realize that she had been done explaining to me her day.

“Mama! Mommy?” She snapped in my face. “Huh?” I said as I snapped out of my trance. “Oh, I’m sorry baby! Mama is just worried about some things right now!” I said. “Well, I see you’re tired! I’m going to go take my shower now.” She said while getting up from the couch. “Don’t forget you only get five minutes and leave the shower on so that as soon as you get out I can hop in.” I said. “Yes ma’am!” She said.

I know that that’s really gross but it’s what we have to do until some money comes in. I’m trying to put myself in a happy place for my daughter. I don’t want us to struggle and I don’t want us to have to be so worried all the time. But, right now that’s all we can do. One day the sun will shine. Hopefully that day comes soon.

I heard the shower door slide back so I hurried to get to the bathroom and hop in. We need to save as much money as possible with these utility bills. I know it’s hard for my baby to get used to this, but it’s what we have to do. After I got out of the shower, Alicia and I said our goodnights and went to bed. Me being on the couch, and her in the bedroom. I want her to be as comfortable as possible.

The Next Morning

“It’s going to be like this for a while, huh?” Alicia asked me. “Sadly!” I sighed in reply. “I’m already tired of this and it’s only my second day of work!” She said. “Well, at least you can go somewhere with a pretty good setting. That’s what our ancestors fought for! Make them proud and don’t take what they fought for, for granted.” I gave her a small pep talk. “I guess so, when you put it that way.” She smiled. “Let’s go honey before we’re late!” I said. “Okay! See you later mama!” She kissed my cheek before walking out of the door. “Okay!” I said before locking the door and walking to work, going the opposite direction as her.

Once I got to work, I clocked in. Then I went to the kitchen and put on my apron with my note pad, pens, and straws in the pockets. I walked out of the kitchen and wiped down the tables and fixed them up nicely. After that I went and got the broom and swept around the whole restaurant. I have to work extra hard if I want this money to come in. Yesterday I got paid, but they always pay first timers a low amount so I put that whole check in our savings, same for Alicia.

But anyway, it’s now seven in the morning and the restaurant is now open. I went to the back and washed my hands. Our first customer had walked in and sat down. I suspected it was a man since his back was facing me and I could only see his head.

I walked up to the table and was shocked to see who I saw. Samuel?” I said in a stunned tone. “Miss Shelly!” He smiled up at me. “Please, call me Shelly! I am your waitress anyway!” I replied back with a small smile. “Okay, Shelly, how about I start with a glass of water?”