Chapter 14

Brandon’s POV

“He’s just not my favorite person in the world right now.” I replied to Alicia’s question of why I don’t like my father. “Baby.” She said as she took my chin and made me face her, “Tell me.” I sighed as she laid my head in her lap, beginning to play with my hair.

I began to speak, “He’s just not a good dad. He’s always at the hospital working as an OBGYN. I understand that he has to be there a lot, but he could at least spend a little time with his family. He’s all about work and doesn’t care about anything else in the world. Now that his grandson is here, it seems like he’s been out of the house a lot more. I know he’s disappointed in me for having a child before marriage, but he shouldn’t keep that held against my son.”

“I’m sorry to hear all of that, but I promise it’ll get better. Everything happens for a reason. He’ll come around, trust me.” She kissed my forehead and got up, getting ready to leave. “I guess so.” I whispered. As she was getting ready to leave, my dad walked in the room. I knew that this was going to end badly.

Alicia’s POV

I was getting ready to leave Brandon’s house when the door screeched open. I looked up to see a man who looked almost exactly like Brandon, “You must be Mr. Hawkins.” I smiled as I extended my hand to acknowledge the foreign man standing in front of me. He just looked me up and down before turning his attention to Brandon, “Who is this hoe that you have in my house?” The man asked sternly.

I scoffed and grabbed my bags. “Alicia, please don’t go.” Brandon said, “No let the little tramp go. Nobody said she could be in my house. Now get out little girl.” He said pointing at the door. I didn’t want to cause any problems in someone’s house when I didn’t even know them.

“Daddy, stop calling her out of her name. She has one you know, it’s Alicia. And it’d be greatly appreciated if you would use it.” Brandon said standing up for me. It made me smile a little until Mr. Hawkins looked at me and said, “Why are you still here? Go!” That was enough for me because I was going to punch him in the face.

I grabbed my things and Bre’s car seat before charging out of Brandon’s room. I almost made it out of the door when Mrs. Hawkins said, “Alicia, I’m so sorry. I don’t know what has gotten into my husband. I apologize sweety.” I gave her a small smile before wiping the tear that was cascading down my cheek. I walked out to my car, and once I got situated I drove home.

When I got into the house, I didn’t speak to anyone. I just ran up the stairs into my room, slamming the door behind me. I sat down on the couch for a minute to gather my thoughts. I then gave Bre a bath and put her to bed.

I got in the shower and began to think about everything that I’ve been going through since leaving Nathan’s house. I went from hating Nathan and everything associated with him, to regretting everything that I said about him. I went from being poor, to living in this extravagant house with all of these lavish possessions. I found out who my father is, only to wishing that it was a lie since he’s also the father to my daughter. Our daughter. All of this is too much to handle. I know people say that running away from your problems doesn’t make anything better, but maybe I need to get away from it all.

When I got out of the shower, I finished up my project and was about to go talk to my mother. I opened my door as soon as she was about to knock on it. “Come in mama.” I sighed “What’s wrong honey?” She asked me as I locked the door behind her.

“Why didn’t you tell me? Why didn’t you tell me that Marcus is my daddy?” I asked her. Her eyes bulged out of her head as she began to hyperventilate. “I-we-he-I was-and then he-and we were-and you-and-“ “Mama, breathe. It’s okay, I’ve excepted the fact and I’m not angry anymore. Upset? Of course, but I’m not furious anymore.”