Chapter 3

Shelly’s POV

I have to tell her sooner or later. I thought to myself as I stepped out of the shower. I got myself together for bed and walked into the bedroom to see Alicia starring at the ceiling in the darkness. “Hi honey. There’s something I have to tell you.” I said as I switched on the light and sat at the end of her bed. “Yes mama?” She asked while propping herself up on her elbows. “We’re going to be leaving her and moving in with someone else.” I nervously said. “With who?” She asked. “Marcus sweetheart.” I said in a calm tone. She busted out with laughter.

When her laughter died down she looked up at me chuckling. “You’re kidding me right?” She asked. “You just met him!” She wiped away her cheers. “No, I’m serious. Very serious.” I said trying to sound solemn. “No, you can’t be serious!” She said. “Well believe me because I am!” I said.

“But what do you know about this man?” Alicia asked me. I was taken aback. Because in all honesty, I only knew his name and that he came to my job often. I was trying to think of something to say and I guess I took too long for her because she then said, “Exactly! This isn’t a good idea!” She said to me. “Honey, I know! Trust me I do! But he can pay the bills and plus he told me…he told me-“

“Told you what mama?” Alicia anticipated. “He told me that if we tried to run, he’d come and find us.” I said barely above a whisper.

Alicia’s POV

I know I did not just hear that. Is she freaking kidding me? This man could be a stalker or a rapist. But I have no choice, there’s nowhere else to go. I just want to get back to my old life style. “Alright mama. Alright. There’s nothing else we can do then.” I sighed. I guess this is going to be my life for a while.

The Next Evening

Last night, we packed all of our things, which wasn’t much. Today was our last day of working. We quit after three days, doesn’t that seam pathetic? But we had no choice. We caught the late bus to the upside of town. We are now walking to Marcus’s house which is further than I thought it would be. We’re passing by so many lavish houses and its bringing tears to my eyes because of the memories of my old life.

“We’re here!” My mom cheered as we turned into the driveway of the biggest house on the block. “Thank you! My feet are killing me!” I whined. My mom pressed the button to the intercom. It buzzed and a familiar voice answered, “Who’s speaking?” it was a male’s voice. I knew it from somewhere. “Shelly and Alicia.” My mother said. “Shelly?” the voice said in shock. The gate opened and we walked up the rest of the driveway. Once we got to the door, my mom, the man at the door, and myself were stunned. It was Samuel. What was he doing here? Wasn’t he still at Nathan’s house?

“Samuel?” I said in a shocked yet happy tone. “Shelly and Alicia?” He replied in the same tone as me. “What are you doing here?” We all asked at once then shared a brief laugh. “Well, this is my new job!” Sam said before stepping aside to let us in. “New job?” I asked. “Yes, your mother didn’t tell you?” He asked. I looked to my mom and she explained what happened. “Oh Sam, that’s horrible!” I said in a caring tone. “It’s quite alright!” He said in his British accent. “So, you must be Alicia!” An unfamiliar man said while walking down the grand staircase. “That’s me! You must be Marcus!” I smiled. “Yes! That’s me!” He mocked me. I laughed a little. He came and shook my hands while staring me down. It was kind of weird but I shook off the feeling.

“So, I see you’ve met Samuel.” Marcus said. “Actually we already knew him!” I said. “Oh, well that’s good!” Marcus replied. “Hello Shelly!” He said to my mom who had been silent ever since he came down the stairs. I gave her a look like ‘You can’t look like you’re afraid. Act normal.’ She took my hint because all of a sudden she became lively. “Hey Mark!” She said with a huge smile on her face. “How’s it going?” She asked. “Fine, I guess!” Marcus said in a confused tone.