Chapter 12

As I was driving home, my gas icon was blinking, indicating that I was low on fuel. I drove up to the closest gas station and parked my car. I got Bre out and carried her in. When I got inside, I got some candy and went to the register to pay for my items and gas.

When I reached the counter, I saw someone who I thought I would never ever see working. It was Jessica, Nathan’s niece. “Jessica?” I asked when I stepped up to the counter. “Alicia? What are you doing here? You have a child?” She asked me “I just stopped to get some gas. What are you doing here? Working? And yes, I have a child.” I said looking down.

“It turns out that Nathan didn’t leave anything for me in the will either, but it wasn’t that he didn’t want to. He simply went bankrupt a year before he passed. We were living off of what he had left in the bank. Now, there’s nothing. I'm so sorry for being bitter towards you and Shelly for all of these years. I was just jealous, because Nathan spent all of his time with y’all.” She half smiled. Her eyes were telling me that she was pleading for forgiveness.

“It’s all in the past.” I smiled “So, where are you now? And how’s your mother?” She asked me “We live with this guy named Marcus and-“ “Wait, Marcus? Marcus Smith?” Jessica asked me “Yeah, why?” I replied “You need to get out of that house, and get out fast before you get caught up in something that you can’t get out of.” Jessica said as she leaned over the counter and whispered to me. “Why, what’s going to happen?” I asked her.

She sighed before saying, “Marcus is in the drug dealing industry. He’s very dangerous and abusive. He’s also your fa-“ She almost finished her statement when she finished ringing me up and I paid. But someone interrupted her saying, “What’s the hold up? I have places to be!” It was a very grumpy man. I guess Jessica didn’t want to make him any angrier, risking her losing her job. So she said, “If you have any questions or ever want to talk. Here’s my number!” She slid me a piece of paper with her contact information on it.

“Thank you!” I smiled as I walked out of the gas station, pumped my gas, and went home. The whole ride home, I was thinking if I could trust Jessica after all she put me through. Was she telling me the truth? Or was she just trying to make my life as miserable as hers has become?

When I got home, I spoke to everyone. As I was walking up the stairs, heading back to my room, I felt someone staring at me. I turned around to see Marcus giving me those looks again. My eyes grew large as I rushed to my room and locked the door after me.

I put Bre down for a nap, after a fed her some of her milk, and fixed myself some lunch. As I sat at my kitchen table, I contemplated on whether or not I should call Jessica. I decided to call her and figure things out. When I called her, I was sent straight to voicemail. I thought that either her phone was dead or she didn’t recognize my number so I decided to text her.

Me: Hey Jessica, this is Alicia. I was just trying to get in contact with you to get more information.

A few minutes later my phone buzzed signaling me that I had a text message, it was from Jessica.

Jess: Sorry, I’m not on my lunch break yet. But how about we meet at the McDonald’s on 30th street when you get out of school?

Me: Okay, I’ll be there at about 4 since I have to pick up my daughter. See you then! J

Jess: Okay!

Something told me that she was telling me the truth, and I really wanted to hear what else she had to say. After I finished my lunch, I took a shower since I’d been outside this morning. When I got out, I changed into some sweats and a t-shirt. I gave Bre a bath and put her in a one zee and some socks.