V: The Sirens

I could not count how many weeks flew by during my happiness. It was a lot, though. It felt a lot. Many things contributed to this happiness; Noah, bus rides, texts and the thought of Halloween. Things between me and Noah were still going. I didn't know how but it was and our bus rides become a daily routine and our texting had resumed to be as continuous as before. Occasionally we'd bump into the 'close call' zone, a zone that gave me enough information but trod very closely to my true feelings being revealed;

Noah: so whats new in ur life?

Me: Not a lot, you?

Noah: ha, i wish. my sisters taken up playin the clarinet so there's that every morning...

Me: Not used to girls waking you up the mornings? ;)

Noah: not used to ANYONE waking me up in the mornings! hahaha

Me: Have you ever had a gf?

Noah: Kinda... a few?

I know it didn't seem too pryish of me, but I knew for him, it seemed rather taboo. That's the weirdest thing about Noah. He didn't joke like the other boys did. He never looked at girls, he never talked about his 'conquests' in fact I was the joker. He only ever laughed at my jokes, him, it was like joking to a vulnerability to him. That was another point; for such a chilled out guy, Noah held a lot to himself. He radiated that feeling that everything he gave was limited, laughter and kindness. Step too far with him, he'll close.

He never closed with me because I never trode to far. So our conversations never went too deep. I never forced it and neither did he. More than anything, it was an escape from the world. I was so intrigued by Noah, the only I crushed on from a distance was now closer to me than ever and although the thought panicked me, it made my days happier too.

I still don't understand what I did to deserve it.

I galloped downstairs, ready for another day of him and me. The bus. The music. A smile etched on my face and I sat at the table where Mom had prepared breakfast, "Good Morning!" I called over to her.

She had been sat on the couch all morning looking rather... rough. I decided she had caught a bug or something from the bags under her eyes and her sniffling. You never knew with Mom and a part of me wasn't too bothered for it. My mind was set on finishing this breakfast and seeing Noah.

As I finished up I gathered my stuff and headed over to Mom who had taken nest on the couch where the TV played on mute. She did that a lot.

Kissing her head I whispered, "It's even better with sound," I chuckled and headed out, "See you later!"

As I headed out I saw my bus pull up, taking the usual pace, I made it in time for the doors to close behind me. And there he was; Noah. Sat there, waiting for me. Listening to music already.

I headed toward him and took my seat.

"Morning," He grinned at me.

"Morning," I replied.

He handed me the earphone and i took it placing it in my ear. And off we went. The bus ride took us to school, we got off and as soon as we reached the doors, parted ways. And I knew it was to be continued.

I hoped the day would fly by. But this one went as slow as water draining from a blocked sink. Double Chemistry, History, Math, English Literature and Art. It didn't help that even Ana was acting weird. Her eyes were practically glued to her phone and she only ever answered in 'mm's' or 'uh huh's'. So I spent the rest of the day in the library, studying, thinking about the ride home mostly.It was a distraction from everything but my studies. In fact I was amazed at how easy it was to be this absorbed into someone yet still find time for study. It really was a piece of cake.