XXXI: A Chance

Dear Jacob,

I'm really sorry. I thought I could do it and stand up but I really can't and I didn't expect this to happen. I know you didn't either. That's why I'm leaving and hopefully, by the time you see this you will be able to come.

22 Aukland Avenue

Newgate, NY 10011

I'll be waiting. I love you so much. And I'm so sorry that I couldn't be strong. Till then, take care.

Love,

Noah.

I read the letter a dozen times, my eyes adjust on the last few times as I slowly drifted to sleep only to wake again in the morning to see the messy words on the sheet of paper again and again. I couldn't believe it. It was there the entire time and... he was waiting for me! That was the worst part. I thought he had left without me, gone in the wind. Instead he was waiting for me in New York!

It didn't sink in, not really. Not until I was washed, dressed and stood there with a bag packed and Avery reading the letter on the stairs quietly. I watched, pacing nervously as Kathy was due to come in a few minutes. I shook slightly as I tackled the million thoughts that raced through my head, Should I go? Was it right to go this late? What do I even say, 'Oh! Sorry! I never got your letter until ten days after you left and I hated you because I thought you screwed me over, but oh well, let's carry on'?

Either way, it was fucked. There'd be no doubt it will all be awkward conversations and... Oh god! What if the love was gone? What if I showed up and he just... didn't feel that way - or I didn't?

"Avery?" I turned to my sister.

Looking up from the letter, she smiled widely, "Yes?"

"I can't do this!" I exclaimed.

Avery closed her eyes, sighing as she placed the bridge of her nose between her index finger and thumb in frustration. Sighing, she shook her head slowly before dropping her hand and looking up at me, "You can't keep blaming him, okay? We know now; it wasn't his fault and that he wanted you there all along!"

"I know!" I nodded, "I know that! It's just... what if he doesn't want me anymore? What if I don't? What if it's not like before?"

"Only you can decide that," Avery stood up and walked over to me, "Jacob, you're beautiful, smart and the most kind hearted guy I've ever met. You're an amazing brother and, quite honestly, the best friend I've ever had. Every part of me knows that if that guy doesn't love you anymore, then he is the most ridiculously idiotic guy I've ever met in my life!"

I smiled weakly and shrugged, "I don't know... I... I still feel angry. I still hate him."

"It's okay," She rubbed my arm gently, "It's okay to be unsure. But you can't not go, you can't leave it anymore. Go get your boy."

The doorbell rang, echoing through the house, causing me to startle slightly. I breathed in and out quickly as I turned and pulled open the door to see Kathy stood there, smiling greatly at me, "Todays the day!"

I nodded a bit, "Yeah..."

"Oh!" She stepped forward a bit, "I can't drive yet and neither can you and you said about Avery sucking at driving," Avery pulled a face, "Plus if we wanna get there as soon as possible we gotta get moving so can't get a lift of your Mom or Marissa. So... I asked Alanna to take us."