XX: The Green Eyed Monster

"I want to treat you," Mom said as she joined us at the breakfast table as I updated Avery on Ana. Ana had still been bedridden, avoiding food and contact with anyone who wasn't me. Even when I visited her, she barely spoke one word. Instead, she stared out the window, curled in a ball in an armchair with dreary look in her eyes. I felt bad but was glad she was here in one piece then dead.

"I've been gone for thanksgiving and I was thinking; we do a post-Thanksgiving!" She sat and poured herself some orange juice. Mom had looked healthier from her time away which was different from the past four times she returned home off her head on drugs. She looked improved.

"I'm done with Turkey," Avery groaned, "Can we just go out?"

Mom sipped her juice and nodded, "Of course, where would you like to go?"

"The County fair is on in a week," Avery bit into her toast, "Could be fun."

"Boy, I haven't been there in a long time!" Mom nodded, "Okay, then. We'll take a trip there. I'll look at getting tickets today."

"Oh, you're going out?" I asked.

"Of course! The doctor said that fresh air would be good for me. Plus, I've grown very fond of my little strolls," She smiled widely. It made my heart happy that she was like this. A brightness lit up her face making her look happier than I'd seen her look in years. I couldn't get over how radiant she was, "Plus, it's four weeks till Christmas and I think it would be nice to get the family together."

Avery looked at me with an eye roll, I knew how hard this was for her, to pretend everything was okay. She still had it in her head that Mom would relapse. I knew it was only moments before Avery left again and that made me sad, not for me but for Mom who wore hopes of her staying, "That's great, Mom." I nodded.

"I think the decorations are in the attic, I'll get them out later and we can play some tunes and make this house our own grotto!" She clapped her hands together and beamed happily.

I finished up my breakfast and gathered my stuff for another day at school, watching Avery with caution as she lingered by her purse. She caught my look and smiled, "What's up?" She asked over Mom's attempt at singing 'Jingle Bell Rock'.

I swung my bag over my shoulder and leant in, "Don't. Okay? She's really trying and you're doing a great job at caring! But please, just don't."

Avery shrugged and gave me a 'I-Don't-Know-What-You-Mean' look with a shake of her head, "I honestly have no clue what you mean. I'm gonna stay here and help her put up decorations for the 'most wonderful time of the year'!" She smiled innocently.

Hesitantly, I stepped over to the door and eyed her as she crossed her arms and bit her bottom lip, watching me back. I slipped out of the door and shut it behind me, taking a long inhale of fresh air hoping that she'd be there when I got home. I can NOT do this on my own! Not again!

__________________________________________________

There had been no sign of Eric Stock. That caused the rumour mill to spin to an uncontrollable speed. I had heard it all until I had heard the truth. Sat in the library with Noah in the furthest table that we could find from everyone, we hid behind our books and spoke in hushed words.

"He's skipped town," Noah said.

"What?" I gawped.

"I ran into his sister at the mall yesterday. His Dad told him he wouldn't be supporting his case and-"

"Wait, are you for real?" I sat up. Did what I said changing his Dad's mind? Did I literally just win Ana's case already?

"Yeah, his Dad is staying out of this. All of them are. I have no idea why but the police are looking for him. And I mean manhunt looking for him," He said. I knew I had to tell him the truth. I couldn't have him thinking it was so simple as this. Swallowing, I looked at the book in front of me, toying with the pages, "Well, uhm, maybe it wasn't so spontaneous..."