XXIX: On The Run

New Years Eve was the first day I truly felt okay. No more waking up, sweating and worried. No more headaches from stress. No more feeling like the worst person in the world. It was the first time I woke up to the sun shining through my curtain, singing of birds and the fresh smell of pancakes as a happy guy.

A smile grew on my face as I sat up in bed and stretched. The sensation of relief ran up my upper back as I lifted my arms above me and groaned. Relaxing, I swung myself from my messy bed and left my bedroom. The smell consumed me like a huge wave as I opened my bedroom door and started down the stairs. Hearing Marissa and Mom moving around the kitchen as they prepared the breakfast- wait, I doubled back and looked at the old clock on our wall.

"Nine o'clock?" I actually woke up in the morning.

Proud, I continued my walk to the kitchen where I found Mom and Marissa looking up in equal amazement, "And here we see a rare sight; Jacob wandering in the morning light," Mom cocked a brow, "Lucky for you we have more batter than we imagined."

"Get used to it because I think I'm finally back to me," I announced proudly as I headed into the kitchen lifting myself onto the countertop. Marissa turned, after pouring batter into the pan, "See I knew that day out would do you good!"

"Yes, we heard about your ice skating talent!" Mom chirped up.

"Kathy?" I guessed. Kathy had been coming around a lot more recently and I had to say her and Mom were already very bonded. Like two school girls (Kathy, literally) they laughing and gossiped and talked about music and TV Shows, whenever Kathy was around and not talking to me her and Mom would be off with a mug of coffee and talking. "That girl is a good influence on you," Mom said, "I'm glad you two found each other."

"Well, she kinda found me," I said.

"Shame about her parents, though," Mom said idly as she flipped the pancake into the air caught it masterfully. I looked at her curiously, "What do you mean?"

"Her Mom's being an ass," Marissa said.

"Hey!" Mom shot Marissa a look, who held her hands up in defence and rolled her eyes before continuing to mix the batter, "But yeah, your sister is right."

"What has she been doing?" I always pictured Mrs Armstrong as a nice, kind woman even after what Noah told me about her. Mom passed a plate with three pancakes on it over to me and gave me a serious look, "Don't say anything."

Taking the plate from her, I shook my head, "I won't," I turned and put butter and syrup onto my pancakes.

"Just putting a lot of pressure on her, telling her Noah isn't coming back, telling her she's going to get a lot of problems at school because... of you," Mom sounded hesitant and quite upset when saying that, "And trying to get homeschooled."

I sighed, I knew what happened that night was out of my hands but I couldn't help but feel responsible. Kathy tried so hard to help me even after everything, yet she was receiving the backlash. I couldn't let that happen. She didn't let me go when I was falling, I needed to do the same, "Pass me the phone, please," I nodded to Marissa.

Marissa gave me an odd look and reached over to the kitchen phone and picked it up, slowly handing it over to me. I took it quickly and dialed Kathy's number knowing she'd be up early, she always was. The Armstrongs were one of those 'we don't believe in lie-ins' people and were already washed and dressed at the crack of dawn. I knew from the amount of times Noah messaged me at like seven in the morning saying 'Hey!'.

"Jacob, don't say anythi-" Mom began but I hushed her.

Kathy answered after the second ring with a perky, "Hey!"