XIII: A Red Flag

"Come help me put up this banner, Jacky!" Avery called over to me as I headed over to the living room. Looking up I saw a 'Farewell, Marissa' banner half up and half falling onto the floor, Avery stood on a chair, staring over at me.

"It's time already?" I felt kinda sad that Marissa was going back to University today, it was comforting having her here, having the whole family here. "Sadly, it is and luckily you're stuck with me till Mom returns," Avery said, "So get your skinny ass over here and help me!"

Groaning, I headed over to her and lifted the banner, stretching till I could touch the beam and took the pin from her hand and buried it neatly into the top corner. Stepping back I smiled and looked at Avery, "Not hard at all! Some may say 'a one man job'."

She rolled her eyes as me as I laughed.

"Anyway, where's your boyfriend?" She teased.

"Most likely where your business is, nowhere," I shot back as I helped myself to a Butterfinger Bite, Avery had set out a spread of some of the candy Marissa liked the most; Butterfingers, M&M's, Hershey's etc. "Seriously, what are you guys now?" She asked curiously, "I mean you spent a long time in that room yesterday."

"I don't know... he told me he loved me," I shrugged.

"Wow... and you still don't know what you are?" She cocked a brow, "Aren't you curious?"

I would be lying if I said no. So I shook my head slightly but hesitated before breaking a smile and nodding, "It's just hard..."

"Why?" She asked, "He loves you, you love him. You've practically jumped forty stages of a typical relationship already."

"It's not a relationship," I told her.

"Of course!" She rolled her eyes.

"I mean it, he wants it to be discreet," I said, "I can't really ask more. That wouldn't be fair on him or me." I remembered the story he told me last night and my gut turned slightly as I thought about it.

"Is that what you want?" She asked.

"No..." I sighed, "I just want him."

"Well, I suggest you invite him to our amazing farewell party tonight, then! Maybe him coming will create some magical realisation that he wants you!" Avery beamed, pooping a butterfinger into her mouth.

"I don't know..." I looked away.

"Oh yes, yes, you do!" She teased, poking at me, "You want to love him! You want to kiss him!" She sung. Grinning, I slapped her hand away and poked her back.

"Fine, I'll invite him tonight!" I was defeated, Avery's victory smile shining as she did as little dance and squealed. I shook my head and gave her a look. I walked off toward the mirror and looked at my bruised reflection, "I look ridiculous though."

My eyes have a black bruise beneath it, my nose was still slightly red and my cheek a deep rosy shade. My stomach was also still very bruised from the kick in my chest I received. It hurt sleeping all last night, my head still shook with the world's worst headache. I sighed and touched my bruises slightly, flinching as I did. "You look beautiful," Avery assured me, "Kinda bad boy-ish. You know, 'don't fuck with me or I'll cut you' kind of look." I knew she was just saying that to make me feel better but I went along with it anyway.

"I guess," I shrugged, "It hurts."

"It will, for a while. I remember my first fight too. Damn, it hurt like a bitch." She said, "You should have seen me. I was more of a mess then you."

I rolled my eyes, "If you say so. Now, we have a party to get on with, right?"

___________________________________________________