XXXVII: Family Affairs

"I guess somethings just can't be solved," Noah said, "Are you okay?"

"Yeah," Kathy nodded, still looking down at her cup of coco. Mom was sat beside her on the couch, the two wrapped in a blanket as Mom comforted her. To be honest, we had all expected Kathy to cry or to freak out. But I guessed they both knew something we didn't. Maybe they saw this coming to had been told? Maybe they knew coming here wouldn't be just for a weekend but for months, even a few years - for Kathy at least.

I hadn't told them about Dad either. I mean, there was no need to, was there? He was the past that tries to force himself into the present. And that wasn't going to happen anymore, not after everything we had been through. We needed to move on as a family and telling Mom or Avery or even Marissa about that would've ruined it all.

So I kept quiet and listened to Noah as he told them how they walked in on Mr Armstrong packing his stuff, talked and he left. I watched as Kathy bared a brave smile and shrugged it away and took Noah's hand in hers.

"You can stay here for now, Sweetheart, it's okay," Mom assured her.

"Thank you," Noah smiled at her, "It really means a lot. It's only until I call my Aunt in New York, after Graduation I guess she'll take Kathy there and I'll go to college."

"You're going to New York?" I asked him, perplexed.

"No," He looked down a bit, "I applied for Stanford, Duke and Virginia," He replied quietly. I hadn't even looked at college yet. I hadn't even figure out what I wanted to do. I mean Chicago had already been on my mind but only because of Marissa attending there. In fact, I had no intention of going too far. Everything had been so on top of me that I had forgotten I even had a future in education. I looked at him, a bit confused but attempting to restrain myself from questioning any further.

"Well I think that is a good idea," Mom said, "And in the meanwhile, you two will stay with us but, we will need a more permanent sleeping plane. Especially with you two being back to your old selves," She eyed me and Noah with a smile.

"Well you better not be insisting that I give up my room!" Avery appeared, jumping onto the couch beside me, tucking her feet under herself as she dug into a tub of Ben and Jerry's. Mom rolled her eyes, "Whatever it means, it means we make sacrifices for people in need. But no, it doesn't require you giving up your room. Don't worry, Honey, we will find something," She assured Kathy once more.

Kathy nodded, "Thank you, like Noah said, it means a lot," She stood up, pulling away the blanket, "But I kinda want to be alone right now too."

"Of course, Sweetheart," Mom nodded as Kathy left the room and disappeared out back. I watched curiously before turning my attention back on the others, "She's devsatated."

"You think?" I asked.

"After weeks of intense therapy, you can kind of tell when someone is being passive. That girl is very damaged right now," She said, "Best to keep an eye on her."

Noah went to speak but avery interrupt quickly, "Don't you worry your beautiful selves, I'll keep an eye on the little Bible Basher," She winked at Noah. Noah smiled gratefully back at her. However I could push away the feeling that came with everything that had happened. Seeing my Dad after years and seeing the man I hadn't thought of in so long, in such an awful state. I was conflicted on whether or whether not to bring it up with someone... at least Mom. I mean, she'd talk about it. Or not. Or I was pushing the boat and me mentioning Dad would ruin this sober state of her.

As we got up, my mind flicked from one idea to the next. I had to ask some questions before we moved on. As much as I wanted to do this whole 'this never happened' thing with the Dad issue, I still couldn't leave it without answers. The only person who could help in this case was my Mom.