XXXVIII: A Shot

Summer approach very quickly, replacing Spring with it's great sunshine and blue skies. The trees falling silent and the grass so still that everything seem very serene and peaceful. The vibe reminded me of the beginning of last year except I now woke up to Noah Armstrong in my house every day and finally had some kind of stability in my family with Mom and Avery on good terms.

The morning ran smoothly and we got the bus to school just like any other day. Accept now, we could hold hands. We could be the couple we wanted to be without judgement (although the odd look never went amiss). Sitting together, he handed me one ear bud and took the other for himself before pressing 'Play'. And once more, like old times, we sat there and listened to our music. Hands entwined and staring idly ahead with smiles on our faces. I had never been so happy in my life than right here and right now.

The day only got better as I had more free periods to study, which meant sitting out in the sun with Noah and Ana studying. And that's exactly how the day went. It was marvellous how the school board treated Ana. They had allowed her to Graduate on terms that she did the exams on the subjects she had studied prior to her absence, so technically, she didn't need to attend class or study.

"So no more History with Mr Duvall! Thank the gods!" She said as she stretched out on the lawn and rested her head on her bag

"Lucky for you," I set down my book, "I still got two who decades to study over, Noah's barely caught up with me either," Noah looked up and smacked my shoulder with his book gently as he shot me a glare with a smile grin, "Hey! I'm trying!"

"Ooh, look at who is wearing the pants in this relationship!" Ana teased.

"Shut up," I tossed a scrunched up piece paper over at her but she caught it just in time and threw it back at me, laughing. "But seriously, you two are too cute! I kinda feel pissed I had to go and miss all the cuteness!"

I had filled Ana in on every detail from our journey to New York to the Winter Ball incident so she was pretty much in the fold with everything. She told me she didn't hold anything against Noah but a part of me doubted her a bit. I knew her too well and noticed she seemed a bit sharp with him at times. Since Ana had come back, she had came back the person she was before but less... wild. More mature. She seemed a lot more reserved than she was before and it was distracting at times, especially when she even declined staying at my house because she felt more comfortable staying home.

I guessed that was the side effect of... what Eric did to her. She wasn't a hundred per cent herself. But at the same time, what wasn't an unrecognisable stranger.

"Yeah well don't be too disappointed!" Noah said. I frowned in confusion as I watched Noah turn to me and smile, "You and me, tonight. Al Fresco's," He told me.

"Tonight?" My jaw dropped a little, was Noah Armstrong actually asking me on a date in public to a public place?

"Tonight, eight o'clock," He nodded, grinning.

I shrugged and hid my smile as I went coy, "Well... see, I don't know if I can make it tonight so I may have on get back to you on that-" Noah wrapped his arm around my neck and pulled my head under his arm, tackling me down as he laughed. I pushed away from him chuckling, "You mean you will be there!" Noah said.

I sat up, beaming, "Yes, of course!"

"Couple of the Year Award goes to..." Ana rolled her eyes, smiling up at the sky.

"Shut up," I smirked at her and re-opened my History book looking toward Noah, "Thank you for your nice gesture. But we'll talk about it more after our studying session."

"Oh there's no talking, it's all booked and set," Noah said. Now I wasn't being ungrateful but it was the first time I'd done this... with a guy. It was his first time too and it was all new too, especially when all your life you are told that only women and men did this stuff. But I couldn't turn it away, I knew that, "Fine. Consider it done," I said.