Chapter 5

ALAYNA

Is he going to fire me over some information? I couldn't lose this job. I have debts, and I have no place to stay in this foreign city. I couldn't just go back home, bringing nothing but failure to my family. Well, of course, I still needed money, but this job was way more ethical than receiving unlabored cash.

"Wait..." I give up. He's firing me anyway, so why not talk back?

"First of all, Mister, you signed me up to a one-year contract," I continue. "You can't just fire people just because you want to. That's against the law. My job description is an assistant chef, what you are doing now isn't written in the contract. Second, what you are asking for is very private. I can't just give the information away to strangers, especially to a stranger like you. Why do you want it anyway? I, at least, want an explanation. Lastly, in all honesty, I can't trust someone who would speak with me this way. I can't even see you."

"I hired you, Miss Hart, what made you think I don't have the right to fire you? And in all honesty too," he said discordantly. "I enjoy firing stubborn people, especially those who don't seem to know when to zip their mouth," he adds, not hiding the unpleasant tone in his voice.

"I beg your pardon?"

"I think you're forgetting something here. You went into my room, and you watched me while I was in the shower. If that isn't unlawful enough, then I don't know what is. But you've made your point, and for your information, I'm not just a stranger."

"What are you to her then? A child she doesn't know about?" I mock.

"No, and I don't wish to, but she was acquainted with my father. Then I found out you are the last person whom she interacted with in Venice."

Another picture appears on the screen. A picture of me and Lucia walking at Campo S. Rocco, two years ago.

"Bastardo," I mumble in Italian. "Why do you have this?" I question angrily.

"You see, I'm not supposed to tell you this; I've been looking for her for a very long time, but she's gone. I can't find her anywhere in Italy anymore."

For someone who doesn't socialize with other people, the Master can talk a lot. However, I feel my face whiten with guilt. He does sound a bit desperate.

If he is so eager, I better make a deal. Mom's medication and payments for my debts should be enough, but this job is important too. I can't leave this house losing that opportunity just because I opened a wrong goddamn door in the library. I might as well try to offer him my terms.

I thought about the situation thoroughly. I won't be able to tell him where he could find Lucia or Annette—whatever he prefers. Lucia told me she was moving to London to teach at the University of West London before I left the training center. I asked for her email address because I didn't want to lose the connection. We've exchanged emails in the first months, but one day she stopped answering back.

"We've only been together for six months when I was in Venice," I begin. "She was my teacher, but she's not in Venice or anywhere in Italy right now, so yes, you won't find her there."

There is a long pause on his end. I imagined if he collapsed or just decided to cut our conversation.

"Where is she now?"

I jerk when I hear him talk. I thought he dismissed me already.

"Fine. I will tell you. Let's make a deal," I declare.

"This should be worth it."

I shrug. "Other than your offer earlier, you're not going to fire me."