Chapter 28

ALAYNA

Chills travel down my spine, making me colder than I already am.

How can someone steal her phone when there's no one else in the house but us? How can they know that I'll be meeting Betty at the resort?

Oh my God! The culprit must be in our circle.

Is it John? No. John spoke to Brandon and Ollie and told where we are.

How about Betty? We don't know much about her. However, she won't do anything obvious, so it's impossible. No sane person would prank us using her phone number.

I jerk in fear when someone suddenly knocks on the window a few more minutes later, but relief floods through me as I find Brandon standing outside.

I push the car door open, and he instantly catches me with his arms, holding me so tight against him.

"I'm alright," I assure him, wrapping my arms around his body.

"You are certainly not alright because of me. I thought I lost you," he says breathlessly.

I gaze at his eyes. "You didn't, so don't worry, okay? What happened back there?"

"Brandon." Oliver appears behind him and hands Brandon the car key. "We don't have much time. Hurry up and leave. I still need to go back to the house. Betty's still there. But will you two be alright?"

I feel Brandon's arm tightens on my waist. "I'll keep her safe."

"Be safe, okay?" Oliver briefly hugs his cousin.

Brandon nods. I look over my shoulder and give Oliver and John a small smile before stepping into the other car.

"Where are we going, Brandon?" I buckle my seatbelt.

"Somewhere safe." He brushes his thumb on my chin. "Do you trust me?"

"Always."

Brandon revs up the engine to life, then pulls out of the place.

After almost an hour of drive, we stop in front of a soaring traditional Japanese wooden gate with two pointed roofs and Japanese calligraphy paintings on each side of the towers.

"Did we just escape to Japan or something?"

"This was a dojo. Come, let's get inside." Brandon entwines his fingers with mine and leads the way. It's even more surprising that he opens the gate by pushing some blocks of wood like a combination code lock.

"Dojo? Is that where people practice martial arts or something?"

"Yes."

Entering the gate is like entering another world. The cold wind blows on my face and reveals one of the most beautiful places I have ever seen in my life. The three-acre land in front of us bore a Minka; a triangular roof, handcrafted natural wood houses with cherry blossom trees around them, and the atmosphere of ancient culture were in the air. It's like coming back to the early Japanese civilization. It's incredible.

Brandon comes in first on the largest door we found, and an old woman in a kimono, a Japanese traditional dress, appears at the doorstep. Though she doesn't look Japanese at all.

"Lydia." Brandon embraces her instantly.

Lydia's eyes seem to sparkle-like a mother's gaze to her long-lost son she hasn't seen for a long time.

"Brandon, my child. It's really you." Lydia's fascination is priceless.

"Oh, Lydia. I've missed you."

I almost want to cry at their reunion, though I have no slightest idea of she is.

She parts away first, and cups Brandon's face. "Cassius isn't lying. You really here."

Brandon grins. "Lydia, I want you to meet my girlfriend." He pulls me next to him. "This is Alayna. Alayna, this is Lydia."

She swiftly gazes at me in an awe expression. "Oh, my boy is all grown up. It's a pleasure to meet you, Alayna."

We shake hands, and she squeezes my palm softly. "The pleasure is mine, Lydia."

"Lydia is Lennie's sister," Brandon introduces.

Wow. Madam Lennie has a sister! No wonder they look alike. Only she's probably younger.

"I used to go anywhere Lennie went. Brandon is just a little boy back then," she says heartily and gazes up at Brandon. "You grew up so tall and so handsome. Come inside. You are safe here."

"She knows what's going on?" I whisper to Brandon, but Lydia hears me.

"Oh, dear. I always look after Brandon even if I'm too far away. I talk to Lennie almost every day," she speaks slowly that her voice sounds even gentler.

"I'm glad Madam Lennie has you." I smile.

"No, I'm glad she has you." She touches my cheek. "Come in, come in! Let me show you your room first. You don't have to take your shoes off. You are my guests."

When we get into the inner part of the house, all I can say about it is a big wow!

The house's structure, though looked old-fashioned, doesn't seem fragile, and the landscape is still the original. The doors are made of the latticed screen covered with white paper, and the flooring is made out of pure wood.

"I wish I could take a picture."

"You can't, because her husband didn't want it to be like a tourist spot," Brandon whispers. "He's the Japanese."

"Oh, that's what I thought," I whisper back.

"Lydia, where is Kenjiro?" Brandon asked Lydia.

"Ah! You can guess where he is at times like this. His way of living is still the same. He's in the training camp with his new karate students. He won't be back until next week. It makes him happy so I let him." Lydia stops in front of another door. "This is going to be your room, or do you want separate rooms?"

"No," Brandon and I say in chorus. "We're fine here. Thank you, Lydia," he finishes.

"I know, I know." Lydia smiles meaningfully. "If you need anything, just tell me."

"Thanks, Lydia. I'm sure everything you have here is enough," Brandon reassures, and then she strolls back from where we came in.

Brandon slides the door open.

"Ladies first."

I step into the room first, and I sit on the floor since there are no chairs, but thick comforters with glossy blankets.

"Did I mention they have a hot spring here?" Brandon inserts when he sits on the floor across me.

I catch my palm. "Does it mean I can still try it here?"

He chuckles. "Of course. I planned on taking you here anyway."

"Is this the place you're telling me that I'll like?"

"Do you like it?"

"I love it!"

"Hey!"

To his surprise, I jump on him to get on his lap, but he falls out of balance so I flip on top of him.

"Sorry..." I was going to get up, but he yanks me back.

Brandon assesses me with his gray eyes, and we are both suddenly quiet. He brushes his fingers to my hair and smooths the strands underneath my ears. "You're so beautiful," he whispers out of the blue. "Such beauty doesn't deserve this ugly face."

My heart melts at his painful, insecure words. I couldn't stop myself from kissing his mask. "You're beautiful, Brandon," I say softly. "Inside and outside. I wish you'll stop thinking like that about yourself."

He curls his arms around me, and I rest my head on his chest. For a long moment, we stay like that, thinking whatever he's going to say next.

"Come with me." He gently puts me aside and he stands up.

"Where?"

He holds my hand and hoists me up. "Just come."