Chapter 35

Athens, Greece

Twelve months earlier...

"So you have returned." My grandfather. I had talked to him over the phone, but we never met once in more than ten years. The memory I had of him was limited. His blonde hair had turned gray-he was old, weak, and his once powerful voice had changed into a quiet hoarse voice.

My grandfather might be old, but his eyesight and his memory were clear as crystal.

"My grandson," he called, as he looked upon me. He was sitting on his favorite padded wooden chair. I stood in front of him.

"Yes, I have, grandfather." My respect for him did not change. He was the only person who favored me in the family.

"Yes, yes." He forced a smile. "You know that I've been waiting for you to accept what's rightfully yours finally."

"I did not come here for that," I said. "I came here to regain my old self." I wasn't interested in his fortune. I came here to make everyone pay and to bring back who I really was. I was my mother's son and a brother to my sisters. "But, I do have one request to make."

"Yes, yes. What is it? I'll be happy to do anything to repay my failure as your grandfather."

"I need your help-your power... your voice. I know that you still have it in you. I have a plan."

He sighed heavily.

"I heard a woman made you come back home. Is this true?"

I clenched my fists.

"I-I wanted to protect her, but I decided to come back here."

"Our family have become greedy. I still believe that one of them killed your mother, and I did nothing. I was blind. I'm going to throw everyone who will get in your way."

I shook my head.

"They won't stop until they see my dead body."

"This is my promise to you. I'm going to protect you with everything I got. Your request is granted, my grandson. Do whatever you think is right."

"Thank you, grandfather."

PRESENT

ALAYNA

"Alayna? Alayna, it's Cassius" Casey sprints towards the door, excited to see her brothers. My heart is pounding abnormally just by hearing Cassius's name. It means he is here too.

My Master... They have announced that he's returning today. I should be excited-thrilled... but instead, I'm afraid.

I weakly follow after Casey, but my knees feel frail and like they were about to fall. Then suddenly, Oliver squeezes my shoulder.

"Alayna?" he mumbles, his eyes worried. "Are you okay?"

"I am fine. I'm good," I lied. I don't think if I would ever feel right.

"You look pale." Seeing Oliver like this have always comforted me. I would never forget how he was always here for me.

When he broke up with Betty for some reason he didn't tell us, Oliver was always there when I was crying at night even if he has problems himself. He's there when I fought against my nightmares. He waited until I fall asleep.