Chapter 15

ALAYNA

Cassius appears in the dining a few minutes later and walks toward me. "That looks good," he compliments, looking at the food on the table.

"Thanks." I smile. "Where's Ollie?"

"He's still with Brandon."

"Is the Master going to be okay? Is he unwell? Did he ask for something? I can prepare it for him and—"

"Relax." Cassius cuts me off and chuckles. "He's fine and he's eating the breakfast you prepared. He's doing great so don't worry," he assures with a small smile, and the thorns in my chest finally loosen.

I sigh in relief, touching my chest. When I spoke to him last night, he didn't seem very well that he asked me to leave him right away. "Thank you. I was so worried."

"He'll be fine." He grins once again and looks back at the food on the table. "Can I have a taste of this?" he says, pointing out the sweet, specially made with mascarpone cream cheese and laced with vanilla.

I chuckle. "Of course, you can." I offer him a fork and he slices a small portion and tastes the food.

He hums in approval. "Wow, tiramisu crepes?"

"Hmm, yes."

"This tastes terrifically good, Alayna," he praises as he chews. "I remember now that I had this for breakfast a few times in Italy," he comments as he eats another dollop and chews the food slowly in his mouth.

I watch him as he deliciously runs his tongue on his lower lip—

Oh no! I quickly look away. How can I think like a starving monster, let alone this man? I just met him two hours ago! I suddenly feel like I am betraying the Master, which I'm not since we aren't even together—but it feels wrong.

Well... it isn't wrong to become attracted to someone when I'm single, right?

"Uh, thank you."

"Alayna studied culinary arts, and she worked at a restaurant in Venice," Oliver shares. I haven't noticed him coming in. "And fortunately, there's no single time Brandon complained about his meal."

My cheeks redden as I am preparing the plates for us. I laugh. "You're selling me."

"Really? Because I swear, this is what an authentic Italian tiramisu tastes like," Cassius praises once more.

"Brandon would not hire her if she's not talented," Oliver remarks.

The two brothers sit next to each other on the chairs while I serve them our breakfast. Besides the crepes, I also prepared apricot-pancetta strata and a pitcher of fresh cucumber-lemon juice.

While we eat, the Katrakis siblings speak mostly about their home. The reason why Cassius hasn't visited is that their father wanted him to come to Athens. I never bother joining their conversation because listening to them makes me just want to know more about their family.

Hearing their conversation, they have a sister who is also coming to New York to continue her culinary degree, and she cannot wait to see her cousin again—which I immediately assume they are referring to Master Brandon.

Their father, Aegeus Katrakis is a general surgeon and runs their own hospital in Athens. He specifically summoned his younger son to Greece because he needed to perform surgery to another cousin, and besides being able to perform surgery, he seems like a general practitioner as well since he is the Master's doctor. He also mentions that he works in the Rutherford Hospital and he has patients here in Manhattan waiting for him so he can't stay long in Athens.