Chapter 17

ALAYNA

It's been three weeks since I last saw the Master's face, and Oliver told me he will be taking the food to him instead of me for now. After the night his illness attacked, I gave him space as it was also Oliver's advice, since he needs to heal again. I have no idea how this illness can affect people, I'm afraid that I might hurt him again so I keep my distance.

I told the Master and everything it didn't matter to me anymore, but after learning about his situation, I have to be more careful around him. Any skin-to-skin contact with him can trigger pain. That is the reason why he doesn't want to be touched.

But not wanting to cut our connection, we're sending each other notes about his meal or how our day went. I would sometimes go to his now-less-creepy white room so I could hear his voice, his laughter... until he stopped answering me. No more notes and he doesn't answer my call anymore whenever I want to talk to him in the white room.

It's bothering me now, wondering what happened to him, and all I can do is wait, but my heart aches for him. At the same time, I can't help but get mad. He should've at least told me if he doesn't want me anymore if that was the case.

Tonight, I am preparing a Greek-style lobster pasta and sides it with horiatiki salad. Knowing that he is eating the food I'm cooking for him, I am somehow relieved. This way, I know that we are still connected.

Then I remember why he hired me for this job. Aside from being the chef, he hasn't asked for Lucia's information until now. I've been wondering why he still hadn't. How's he going to look for her when he can't come out of his room?

A knock on the door interrupts my thoughts. It's from Oliver.

"Hi," he greets with a smile.

"Oh, hi!" I smile back. "You can bring this to the Master now."

"Of course." He grins. "By the way, Alayna, it's Friday now and I'm planning a night out with Cassius. Would you like to come? I know a place."

My mouth part. Oliver might have noticed that I've only been lurking in my kitchen and my room for the last two weeks. I only go outside when I'm looking for some special ingredients.

"Is that okay?"

"Yeah." He beams. "Come on. It's going to be fun."

I chuckle. "Where exactly do you plan on taking me?"

"Okay, this may sound so unlike me, but I'm going to a club. You know... dancing, cocktails?"

I blink rapidly, slightly surprised.

"Alayna?"

"O-okay." I exhale a soft breath. "I guess I'll go with you. I should probably get dressed now."

He chuckles. "Sure. I'll wait for you outside."

***

Oliver is leaning on a white Bugatti Veyron when I come out of the mansion, and he looks very stylish now in his black leather jacket, ripped jeans, and combat boots. He is so casually dressed, but he still managed to look expensive.

I look down at myself, and I am definitely looking plain. There is no sense of fashion in my outfit. I wore a plain royal blue, haltered, knee-length dress that is not very classy because I'm not used to going out to night clubs in my life to buy clothes for this occasion. Nonetheless, I remember I'm not trying to impress anyone.

"Hi," I greet, getting his attention. He's currently frowning on his smartphone.

Oliver looks up at me. "Oh, hey," he greets back with his signature boyish grin. He swiftly puts away his phone and attentively opens the door on the passenger side. "Hop in."