Chapter 7

ALAYNA

I can see half of his face through a shaft of light that slips from somewhere in the room. I want to step back, but I'm pinned on the wall with his hands on my wrist, pushing me a little harder. His breathing rapid, his etched mouth almost touching mine. A familiar smell of an aftershave tickled inside my nose.

"Alayna Hart!"

"Oh God—" I look around me like the sharp sound of bell rings.

Madam Lennie glares at me. She is holding a small bell enough to wake a girl who had an intimidating dream. Next to her are two maids who looks precisely alike, and they are staring at me. It's obvious they are trying their hardest not to laugh. Their small, marble eyes betrayed their fake stoic look. I feel my face burning with shame.

What are they doing here?

"The Master will see you in ten minutes. He expects you to be early," Madam Lennie spoke.

"What? He's—he's what? Why?" I ask in a panic. What did I do wrong now?"

"For your information young lady, you forced the Master with your conditions. I want you out of your bed now and stop complaining. He sent these clothes for you to wear on your breakfast with him," she explains in sarcasm. My eyes go down as I notice they are holding something—white silk, bulky dress, and white flat shoes patterned with sequins.

I frown. "Breakfast?" He's really—never mind! I rush out of bed, then snatches the shoes and the dress.

The twin jerk, shocked by my sudden move.

"We're supposed to help you with that, miss—"

I hold my hand, signaling them to stop. They eye each other, then settle their gaze back on mine.

"I can do this all by myself, thank you," I say and waltz towards the bathroom.

I gargle mouthwash and search for the dry shampoo. "Moisturizer, hair mask, shower gel—no. Where is it? There! Dove!" I've certainly formed a habit of talking to myself in private. I open the cap and spray the shampoo on my hair.

I didn't know working in a mansion can be such torture. How am I supposed to get into the Master's room earlier than the ten-minute time he instructed? Madam Lennie just woke me up!

I quickly put on the dress, but I notice it has too many ties.

Ties? Ties don't zip. Zipper zips, not ties. How am I going to tie this up all by myself?

I go out of the bathroom, almost tripping. Madam Lennie and the twin are still in my room. I heave a sigh of relief.

"Turn around and chew your pride. You can't tie that dress in a perfect knot alone," Madam Lennie scolds. I lazily turn my back on the twin. "Don't you have any sense of fashion in you?" she questions. "Take off your bra."

The maids secretly laugh.

Wait. Take my bra off?

"Are you kidding? I'm going to have breakfast with the Master, and I will not wear a bra? Isn't that a little inappropriate? I should be presentable!"

"Yes, you should be. And this bra could slip out of that dress. Didn't you notice the padding of this dress?"

I place both my hands in front of the dress and squeeze it a little. The padding. Yeah, there was padding. But no, I did not, in my whole life, tried to go out of my room without wearing any brassiere.

"No!"

"The Master isn't going to strip you, young lady! I can't even believe he'll actually show himself after all these years."