Chapter 11

ALAYNA

"Good morning, Alayna. I didn't expect you to be this early." Oliver waltzes into my station in his running outfit. A white towel hanging on his shoulder, and one bud of his earphones is still in his ear. Judging by his looks, he's probably going for a run.

"Good morning, Oliver. Going for a run?"

"Yes, my morning routine." He glances at the small bowl I'm holding. "Oh, you're making crêpes."

"Yep, and I made a syrup. My own recipe," I brag, smiling. "Strawberry this time." I lift the spoon and taste it. I circle my tongue as I savored the sweet taste of honey and strawberry. My most favorite flavor of all. "I think this is good."

I put three layers of crêpes on a plate, then pour the strawberry syrup on top. Oliver is watching me as I put bacon and eggs on another plate.

"Let me help you." Oliver transfers the plates to the trolley then opens the fridge and takes a pitcher of water and lemon. He slices the lemon into thin strips and drops the slices in the water. "And since you're officially his personal chef, and this is not listed on the schedule, give him this every Monday, Wednesday, and Fridays. He works out after breakfast and today are Friday."

"Work out?" I frown, confused. "Oh, of course. He has his own gym in this house. I'm so silly."

"Yes." He smiles. "All done! Off you go."

"Thank you."

"Alayna, I've noticed you haven't been outside since you came here."

I look up at him with a frown. "Oh, yeah. I haven't, right?"

"You know you should go out sometime and see the city. I thought you said you've never been to New York before."

"I actually haven't thought of going out. But you're right, I've always wanted to see the city. Master actually gave me cards and certificates to the spa. I might want to use it."

Oliver's forehead wrinkles. "He gave you a pass to the spa?"

"I was a little surprised too, but who am I to refuse?"

"What did I tell you? He's a good man."

I shrug. "I think so now."

"Maybe I'll drop you off to the spa," Oliver offers. "I'm going outside tomorrow anyway. But only if you like."

"You will do that?"

"Of course." He beams.

"Yeah, sure. I'd love to." I chuckle nervously.

"Oh, take that to him now." His hand motions to the food trolley. "He's probably done with his exercise."

"Oh, right. Thanks for the tips, as always."

He chuckles softly. "Don't mention it."

I push the trolley outside and carefully walk through the hallways. It is very early, and the house's silence is deafening.

I knock on the Master's door thrice but don't hear an answer, so I step inside. The dimness of the light in his room added the feeling of crispness, tempting me to light up the fireplace and settle on the couch with a cup of coffee. I even imagine myself sitting with the Master. The thought alone makes me feel giddy.

I find the remote control of the air-condition on the table and I lower the temperature so the food won't cool down. Then, I decided to settle his breakfast on the table by the window.

"Alayna?"

My head shot up, jolting a little when I heard my name coming from his deep voice. I love it when he says my name. I finally see the Master in front of another door. I can never be wrong when I say that the door leads to his gym.