Chapter 39

ALAYNA

Three days later, I ask Cassius if I could go outside. He allowed me, but he must take me back to his clinic. I knew he was also extra careful, so he came with me. I was getting used to his company. Cassius was very accommodating and extensively patient with me. After we shop a few things at the mall, we stopped by at Starbucks.

"Oliver's on his way," he said, then took a sip of his Frappuccino.

"I've been thinking." I looked at him. "I just thought of this last night."

"What is it?"

I took a deep intake of breath. What I was about to say needed a lot of courage.

"I don't want to fight with you again. Just listen."

"Go ahead."

"I still need my job," I said, "but I need more time for myself."

"What are you thinking?"

"I want to see my family, just like you said. I'll come back in two weeks."

He flashed out a satisfied grin. "That's great. I'm glad you finally realized that. When do you want to leave?"

"Tomorrow." I shrugged. "If you allow me to."

"You're allowed to see your family. It will help your recovery."

"Really?" I smiled. "Then, there's still something else I want."

He put the cup on the table. "Okay. Let's hear it."

"I need to talk to Brandon about this. I want to tell him formally, because he's still my boss, and if you can take me there..."

"What?"

"You don't need to stay with me. I just want someone to be there with me while I travel. It's too much I know. Kansas is very far away and-"

He sighs and smiles. "Of course, I can take you there. I have time, but I have patients waiting for me, so I can't stay long."

"I just don't want to be alone."

Honestly, I don't know what's gotten into me asking him for a favor like that. I'm having these mixed emotions because of him.

The lump in my lungs lightened slightly, and the rapid beat of my heart slows down. Brandon doesn't want me anymore, so I guess it's time for me to clear my mind away from him. He had hurt me enough. It's like I died inside. I was done with this stupidity.

But I know my life must go on. I have a family to support. I just have to grab anything that will make me at ease even just a little.

"I'll tell Brandon too-"

"Tell me what?" someone said behind me.

I jerked as I recognized his owner. It was the voice I was dying to hear for like a million years. I lifted my head and found Brandon standing next to me.

Cassius and I stood up. The tension inside me grew, and my heart rate raised.

The reality was clear to me now. Brandon could walk outside his comfort zone-without his mask. I already saw him once without it, but this was my first time seeing his face up close.

He was glorious... beautiful... mind-blowing... perfect. There were no other words I could think of to describe how magnificent he was. He was like a brand-new person. He was looking formal and almost legal in his three-piece gray bespoke suit. He's more fine-looking now that his mask was gone. He oozed charisma and power. I studied the curve of his jaw, dark hair that was never cut the way it was, but he still had his cerulean eyes that seduced me before. But then, reality hit me. He wasn't mine anymore. He gazed sharply at us. I could already feel the tension between him and Cassius even there's no word spoken.