Chapter 22

BRANDON

I throw the last pin on the dartboard, but doesn't hit the bull's eye. I blow a sharp breath of frustration. "I can't do it, Ollie. Not again."

"Relax, man." He stands, pulls the pins, and hands it to me. "When are you telling her then?"

"I told her it won't take a month, but it's been another week."

I can only connect with her by eating the meal she was preparing for me. She'd always leave a note, saying 'Enjoy your day' or 'I miss you' and I can't even write back. Every word in the notes means I couldn't keep my promise.

Oliver sits on the desk's corner.

"You still have to tell her."

"This is too much." I aim for the bull's eye once more and throw the pin. It barely hit the center. I groan. "How am I supposed to tell her that I am going to be away for such a long time?"

"It's going to take a year," Ollie reminds. "You need a lot of time to completely change yourself. You need to learn everything again. It's like back to basics. So you have to tell Alayna about this."

I stop.

"Did he agree to perform the surgery?"

"Cassius won't let other hands touch you. Whether you like it or not, he's going to be your surgeon. He is smart, and the most capable person. He's the most knowledgeable in your case. You've got to trust him, buddy. He's behind all of this progress you are having right now. He's the reason why Alayna can hold you and why you can walk outside again. I am just here on his behalf since you don't want to see him."

"You know it's not like that," I say, my voice raised. "Don't make me feel guilty. It's a fact that he was the first person to know and didn't tell me that Casey was my sister when he was my best friend. You know how devastated I was when I found out about it."

"Well, I'm sorry. I was upset about that, too. If I was Cassius, I didn't know if I would be able to tell you. It was what our father wanted."

"I know, but it's not just that." I sit on the chair and squeeze my temple.

"It's been a year, Brandon. We cannot change it anymore."

"He was getting in the way all the time!" I snap. "He provoked me, and then he touched me. He shut me off with that bloody medicine again, Ollie. I almost fucking died. I just can't forget that. He knows that Casey is the only one I have left, and she doesn't even know about it."

"Brandon, he didn't mean to hide it from you," he answers, his expression remained composed. "He's just afraid. No one can know that she's your sister. Her life could be in danger too. What happened last year was an accident. He didn't mean to hurt your feelings."

"It looks like I don't have a choice at all," I dismiss. "I wouldn't want anyone, anyway." I hate to admit it, but Cassius is the only person I can trust with the surgery. He knows me, and that's enough.

I guess there is no turning back now. I toss the last dart pin I'm holding, and this time, and I hit the bull's-eye.

"Your turn."

He puts his arm over my shoulder and chuckles. "I didn't know that I would get to play this with you, but I'm starving."

"I can do this all day."

"You need to exercise, but why don't we eat first?"

"I'm staying here. I'll wait for you."

"Oh, come on!" He pats my back. "Alayna must've prepared something special."