Chapter 29

ALAYNA

The moonlight is the only source of light in the hot spring, but the beauty of the clear waters still stands out. The spring water is formed in the modernized rectangular marble tiles. Around it are bamboo parapets, and cherry blossom trees. The lights are warm and so solemn. It's so peaceful.

Brandon walks close to the water first, then he pulls off his shirt, revealing his broad back, defined muscle cuts before me. Then gradually, he strips his pants down. My throat dries up, but oddly my mouth feels like salivating at the sight of his immaculate back view. I remember seeing him the first time this way, and after that day, the image imprinted in my mind, that I can't forget about him.

He slightly shifts his body to face me, preventing my eyes from looking down. "Come, Alayna," he invites softly and steps in the spring water.

I take the garments off my body, and let it drop to the ground, then I stride into warm spring water. I blow out a breath of relief, shutting my eyes as the soothing water touches my skin. I follow after Brandon in the middle.

"Beautiful, isn't it?" Brandon's deep, soft voice says as he walks behind me and touches my bare shoulders, and wraps my arms around my body.

"It's wonderful," I whisper, smiling.

He buries his face on my neck and kisses me. "I need something to tell you."

"I expect that," I say truthfully, anticipating something he really wanted to show me. "I'm ready."

I spin around, then look up at him, and to my surprise, his face is already bare.

Air stuck in my lungs. My stomach churns inexplicably. I shiver under warm water, and warmness did not help the atmosphere's iciness. My knees feel frail, and my jaws shudder.

Brandon's expression is wounded... disgusted... dark.

"Your... your mask," I murmur.

I tear my gaze away and face down. Honestly, I'm not sure anymore how I would feel. I'm confused. I don't want to offend him in any way, but I don't know if it's still right to look at his face.

But his face... It is so disheartening.

He has severe burn scars. A portion of the right side of his face has irregular fibrous tissues. Other than that, his face seemed to have been sliced off several times. The cuts from his forehead go down to his right cheek. Heck, he doesn't even have an eyebrow there, and it looks as if there's no more flesh, but dead skin. I remember him telling me about the acid poured on his face.

"Even I can't look at my face in the mirror," he croaks.

"It's not like that," I say breathlessly.

"Then look at me, Alayna..."

I gulp dryly, and bit by bit I gaze up. I haven't noticed that I'm already crying until my tears stream down my cheeks.

"Oh, Brandon..."

"Doesn't this monstrous face scare you?" He laughs humorlessly, and bitterly. "Tell me, because I don't mind. I'm scared of it myself."

"No, believe me, no." I shake my head firmly. "It's the contrary. It makes me love you more..."

With my words and Brandon begins to sob.