Chapter 9

ALAYNA

My jaw drops. What the hell was that?

I watch him swiftly wipe his lips with the napkin provided. Is it something I said? Something I did? Is it the food? I take a bite of the brioche, then pop it in my mouth. No, of course, it's not the food. It's delicious.

He stands up, then takes his steps away from me, but my feet seem to have a mind of their own. I follow him in a flash, just in time to stop him from opening the door.

"Wait!" I yell as I grab his arm.

"Don't touch me!" he shouts, then pulls his arm back. His voice is like the great imitation of Belle's Beast. My heart skips a beat.

His masked face looks down on me, glaring and breathing heavily. I stagger back.

"Rule number two. I hate being touched."

I shudder at the sound of his voice. I feel ashamed by only grabbing his arm. Is this another reason he hates going out of his room other than his hiding-from-the-whole-world game? He hates being touched?

I back away, feeling so embarrassed. I never felt so dominated my whole life. I used to be the one who solves things myself. I work hard for my twelve siblings, and I'm their hero, yet here, I feel like I'm the slave.

"I'm so sorry, Master. I was wrong. It won't happen again." I breathe a sigh of sadness, realizing how I crossed the line. I shouldn't have asked him to come out. The Master is right all along.

He grits through his teeth. "If hating you can be a rule; I'd be happy putting it on number one. You are very brazen and presumptuous. You need to behave." Master Brandon steps forward and lowers down himself to my height. He is too tall compared to a five-feet-three inches' height. He leans over to my ear, then breathes on my neck. I'm not able to answer. I almost stumbled. "Someone should teach you, Miss Hart. It's a shame I can't."

Electricity flows all over my body in his words alone. I gasp at how my body reacted to him. He didn't even touch me. I don't know if it is even possible. Unless, of course, he is using a black magic spell on me.

My inner self chuckle with my own thoughts. What's up with me thinking that a billionaire would use black magic to make my knees tremble if he could do it effortlessly?

Master Brandon pulls back, then he turns around. "Don't forget the address. Bring it to me at dinner."

He walks away, leaving me breathless and unsettled.

***

It is afternoon when Madam Lennie comes to my kitchen while I'm preparing dinner for the almighty Master.

I have been ill at ease for the last few hours. I'm bothered at his actions earlier. He was too dark, he's unfathomable, and he's wearing a mask. Yet I'm still enthralled.

"You seem troubled," Madam Lennie observes.

"I just spoke with the person who hides from the world all his life. Maybe I just couldn't get over it," I answer while stirring the corn and kernel cheese soup I'm making.

"How did it go with the Master?" she asks glacially.

"He signed the contract and we spoke of a few things before breakfast, but his mood changed so suddenly. He walked out on me."

"Is that all?" she asks curiously. "Did you do something odd again that angered him?" she questions.

"Nothing, believe me, Madam."

"Well, your talent in cooking is unquestionable, but you are rather clumsy at times," she inserts in a flat tone.

Is she scolding me now or something?

The Billionaire's Mask (Book #1) - Unedited VersionOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara