Chapter 27: The End and The Beginning

I heard the steady beeping. It was comforting.

Beep.

Beep.

Beep.

Beep.

It sounded so familiar. I was happy to hear it.
But why was it so familiar....

I listened with more intent. Other then the constant rhythm of the beeping I heard breathing. The steady in and out of air. I was more than happy to hear that. I loved hearing that. It was beautiful. I never knew breathing could be so beautiful. It sounded like a cacophony of heaven. It was like Justin. I could feel him. He was close.

Maybe I was dead. No way would Justin be anywhere near me if I was alive. So I had to be dead. But honestly being dead and having him by my side was better than being alive with him gone.

Sad, pathetic but true. And here I thought I had a bit feminism in me.

The air hummed of electricity. I could almost feel his touch. My skin burned hot at even the thought of him being near. I ached to be near him. My neck stung. Pain nipped and bit at my flesh. I could feel the tingling of needles at my skin.

At first I was annoyed. Why was I feeling pain if I was dead? That made no sense. Maybe I was in hell. After all that was the only way I could feel pain in death right? If I was in hell. Fuck. Everlasting pain and suffering, fucking shit. At least if I was down here I guess I could find my fathers rotten soul and beat it to a pulp. I was already in hell. I'm pretty sure the devil wouldn't punish me more. I was already eternally damned.

But then I realized the pain was too dulled to be hell fire kinda pain. The devil wouldn't dull it.

My brain was so foggy. I could hear breathing and beeping. I could feel Justin. He was here. He was in the room.

For a moment I hoped I was alive.

But then it was probably just a trick of the brain. I would come to my senses and I would again be in the basement. Beat to a pulp and dying. Just what Nick wanted.

My life wasn't fair.

I fell in and out of blackness for god knows how long. One minute I was here the next I was in a void. The void wasn't even black. It was colorless. It was terrifying.

But every so often I felt pressure on my head. It was a hand. Gently caressing my hair. I could even feel the vibrations of a voice murmuring.

Eventually I could hear actual words. Skyler. Please. Come back to me.

My heartbeat quickened.

I knew that voice. I loved that voice. That voice was the voice of an absolute angel.

Sweetheart. I promise. I'll never leave you again. It'll just be you and I. We can get away if you want. We can move someplace safe. Were we can raise our children. Build a family. I know of this little cottage in the woods by the lakes you'd love it. It's so beautiful. It's the perfect place to raise pups. I know it'll be hard raising puppies you know since your human. But I think you'll be an amazing mother. In fact I know so. So please. We can do this together. You just need to wake up.

Again I fell into the colorless void.  But instead of embracing it like I had been I no longer wanted to. I wanted to be in the painful reality. I wanted to be by his side. I wanted to be with Justin. I never wanted to be without him again.
I wanted to cry in frustration. But I couldn't cry. I wanted to scream but no words came out. I was stuck. In limbo agin. And I had no way of getting out. If I wasn't already not breathing I would have stopped. I needed to be with him. I needed to come back from this. Justin. He couldn't live without me. And I wasn't going to be the cause of his death. I needed to be free.

-------------

Skyler. I finally heard again, drawing me out of the void,  please love, wake up. Your mother and brother are here again. Leo and Lily too. We're all here. Even Julie. Remember her. Her and Kyler got married. They have a beautiful little boy. You'd think he's the cutest thing. Please wake up.

It was awhile again till I heard his voice break through the void so Skyler, it's been a month since you've been in the hospital. A month since I found you. I am so sorry I couldn't come get you sooner. I'm so sorry I couldn't save you. I'm so sorry my own flesh and blood did this to you. I am so sorry. Nick. He's gone. Skyler. I killed my own brother. I had to. I know that. He was sick. He was so messed up in the head. I had to. But he was still my brother. Skyler. Please baby. Wake up.

-------------

Hey baby. Hi. Some good news. Leo and Lily are pregnant. How exciting. They can't wait till you wake up and you get to be the best godmother in the world.

-------------
I love you.
-------------

It's a girl. They're having a girl. Can you believe that? Leo is thrilled. He's already telling all the other boys in the pack to stay away from his little girl or he'll rip their throats out. Can you believe that? But I can't blame him. I would do the same thing. Our little girl will be so beautiful. She'll have your red hair my brown eyes. But she'll take after you personality wise. I can already see it. She'll be a feisty one. We'll have our hands full.

------------
You look so beautiful today. I wonder. If I asked you to marry me would you say yes.

Yes. I thought. A hundred times yes. Yes I'll marry you you idiot. Are you asking? You better be asking because I'm saying yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes I'll marry you.

Finally with every piece of strength I had left in me I forced a raspy "Yes."

"Skyler?" I heard Justin's voice loud and clear for the first time in months. No longer was it muffled through the haze. I heard him. Perfectly. "Skyler baby? Is that you? Sweetheart are you awake? I'll call a nurse! Nurse! Nurse! Please hello! Can I get some help! Hello! Anyone can you help me!"

He was so loud. It was kinda charming. "Shhh... You're so loud."

"Oh Skyler. Baby. You're awake. Oh thank god you're awake. It's been months. Are you okay? Does anything hurt. Oh my god. Thank god. Oh god baby thank goodness your alive." I had yet to open my eyes yet. I could feel his touch though and oh my god was it heaven. He was brushing his large fingers through my hair and caressing my cheeks. "Baby. Thank god."

I could feel his tears dripping onto my face as he kissed the top of my head. I forced my eyes open and found myself staring into his deep chocolate brown eyes. Warm. Memorizing. Sexy. Beautiful. "Hey...""

He smiled his crooked grin and said "hey there baby..."

"So... Did you mean what you said about marrying me? Because you can't take it back..." I said my voice barely above a whisper.

He was crying harder now. He pulled me to his chest and clutched onto me for dear life.

"Can't breathe." I choked out.

He just clung onto me. Squeezing my tighter and tighter trying to make sure I was really real.

Sudden the pulled my body inches from his pressed his forehead against mine and stared into my eyes. He smiled his beautiful smile and crushed his lips against mine. I felt fireworks explode in my stomach. I saw stars. My stomach tingled and tightened and my head was suddenly blank.

Finally. The missing part to me had been found. In this man. He was the love of my life. My soulmate. My one true mate. Furry and all.

He finally broke the kiss looked me into the eyes and said "Yes oh god yes I mean it. Will you marry me Skyler?"

"Do you love me?"

"God yes. With all my heart do I love you!"

"Didn't you know you silly boy. I love you is a horrible thing to say."

"Shut up." He said and kissed me until the whole world faded away. Finally. Two mates joined as one.

Finally. Have four years this story has come to an end. Lol. There'll be an epilogue and that's it. Finally I wrapped it all up. So proud of myself. Yay.