Prologue

September 18

Her jaw dropped. "Are you bloody serious? A GPA of 4.9?"

Principal James Marriot sighed, rubbing his temples. "There's no reason to be so worked up by this, Ms. Teschler." He said in a thick British accent. 

"How did this happen?" She asked. "I know I still hold the highest GPA, but a 4.9?"

He pushed his thick spectacles up his nose. "Well you must remember when you turned in that paper late last month?"

"That's rubbish!" She exclaimed. "I had tons of projects due already. The paper was just for extra credit. I turned in only one of my projects late. The extra credit must have made up for it."

"But the extra credit was for a different class, so now you have a GPA of 4.9."

She crossed my arms and blew her bangs off her face in annoyance. "Then what can I do? The last thing I want is Aldridge Dawson to have to honor of getting the highest GPA of East Wentworth High, then rubbing it in my face."

"Don't worry Lizzabeth." Principal Marriot said, trying to calm me down. "I have a solution to your problem, if you're willing to except it."

"Anything."

"As you may know, there will be a program having to do with pen pals."

"Um, yes," She said.

Lizzabeth remembered the huge banner of it and the posters that were sprawled all over the school. She was thinking of joining the program, but decided not to. She didn't have the time to do it, she was just too busy. She had so many other things in her mind like bloody Aldridge and charming Ezekiel, that she lost track of time to turn in the paper.

"Well the principal of the school is an old colleague of mine. And we both came up with the idea of doing the program together. It will give you the enough extra credit just in time for the next report card. But you must finish this program until the end of the year or else I will deduct the points I've given you on the report card."

She bit her lip. School has started a couple of weeks ago, and already she’s this desperate for a couple of points for English. If Aldridge were to find out, (shiver) she would never hear the end of it.

She nodded. "Fine. I take it you've already got my pen pal, Mr. Marriot?"

He opened his drawer and handed me a picture. In it is a guy about my age, maybe a bit older. Lizzabeth was a bit startled at first, she thought my pen pal will be a girl. He has jet black hair, short and the back and long bangs at the front.  He had icy blue eyes, and a mischievous smile like he has a secret. He looked very tall and muscular like he works out at a daily basis. He didn't wear a school uniform, instead he wore skinny jeans, a black leather jacket over a shirt of some band she don't recognize and those red converse high tops. He looked exactly like those stereotypical bad boys from the movies she watched. She looked at the back of the picture and read the name out loud.

"William Patier."

September 18

His jaw dropped. "Are you kidding me? A military school?"

"There is no reason to be so worked up by this, Patier," Principal Henry O' Connell said with a sigh, pinching the bridge of his nose.

"I'm getting out of here," William growled.

He stood up, shoving my hands into my jacket pockets. He didn't have time for this. Then he started heading towards the door.

"William Patier, you sit down right this instant!" Principal O’ Connell hollered, he looked like he was going to blow up. 

Normally William would laugh at him and humiliate him the next day about his bald head. But something about this seemed serious so he sat back down. He propped my feet up on his desk. Not only just to piss him off more and see what other colors his face can turn to, but because he can.

"What you've done last weekend was inexcusable Patier," he said, glaring at him.

He always called me by my last name, if he would call me by my first name that would mean we were friends. The thought’s pretty stupid, right?

He laughed. "What I've done last weekend was pure genius, old man."

His eyes narrowed at him. "You covered my whole house with toilet paper then used the hose to turn the white paper into white sludge."

"See, pure genius."

"I've spoken to your parents-"

William gasped pretending that he’s actually worried, placing his hand on his chest for effect. "Oh no, what ever am I to do?"

He gritted his teeth. "And we've come to an agreement that you'll be sent to military school."

"And that's where I'll have to stop you," He said, sitting up. "I'm not going to military school. There are nothing but rules, chores and disgusting food. And what's worse that there are no girls. No girls! What kind of animal would make such a hell?" He placed my hand over his eyes, trying to not picture such a place.

He ignored his question. "Well you do have another choice other than going to military school..." he began.

William looked up. "Really what is it?"

Principal O’ Connell had the nerve to shrug. "I don't know if I would want to tell you. You leaving the school will be a like a blessing given to us all here in Clement Heights."

"Ha ha," he said, deadpanned. "But I'm serious, what's the other choice?"

"Well there is this program where you get pen pals and-"

"Whoa," he said, interrupting him. "Pen pals? That's your my choice? I'd rather go to military school."

"Okay then."

"No!" William exclaimed, realizing his mistake. "I was being sarcastic, old man." He chuckled nervously.

He stared at me then continued. "I have an old friend who's a principal of a school, that's how we thought of doing this program. If you first join it, and actually show up to classes to slowly work on your grades to at least a C. Then there is no such thing as military school for you."

He ran his fingers through his hair. That sounds like a lot of work. School just started a couple of weeks ago and he’s already being threatened to this stuff? He didn't think he can get himself out of this one, so he guessed he had no other choice.

William sighed then nodded. "Fine. You got my pen pal already, old man?"

He opened his drawer and handed me a picture. In it is some girl he thinks is around his age. William smirked, he thought this thing would blow but his pen pal's a girl. She had long dark brown hair with natural brown highlights that came to her shoulders and right side bangs. She had bright emerald eyes that glint in the light in the photograph and she had a grin plastered on her face like she won some award. She wore some uniform like she's in a private school. With a red tie over a white button down and black blazer with a red plaid skirt and high heels. She looked about an average in height, and she didn't look like she starves herself to death. He had to admit, she’s pretty hot. But she looks exactly like those stereotypical snobby, popular rich girls in movies. He looked at the back of the picture and read the name out loud.

"Lizzabeth Teacher."

“It’s pronounced Teschler,” the principal said, correcting him but ruining the moment.

“Right, Lizzabeth Teschler.”