Letter Thirteen: Liz Teschler

November 28

Dear Willy,

Happy Thanksgiving where you live! We have terrible timing, don't we? What did you do for Thanksgiving? We don't have Thanksgiving here, is an American and Canadian holiday. Given it was when the American Indians and Pilgrims shared a feast with each other.

I think you should go for your dream as a photographer. It certainly isn't stupid at all. At least you have a dream. All I know is that I have to go to college and study to become a doctor and follow my parents's footsteps. But I honestly don't want to be a doctor. I can't stomach the thought of needles or cutting someone open. And everyday you go through death, someone's life is in your hands. And if you make even one mistake, it costs someone life. I don't want to go through so much pressure and guilt.

Just a couple of weeks ago, I learned that I'm going to have a GPA of 4.9. I turned in a project late for Mr. Benson, the strictest English teacher you would ever meet. Once he even made a grown man cry. The guy was an old student of his and he tried to show what he had learn but he still wan't good enough. Mr. Benson never gives extra credit or second chances, and not only that, he's out for me. I suspect he is an anti-feminist, and he sees Aldridge as the golden student. Whenever he would find his chance he would make me fail his class. And I don't even want to think what would happen if Aldridge were to have the highest GPA. So the principal gave me a chance to join this program to make up for the loss credit. What about you? What's your reason?

You're probably wondering why I'm making such a big deal of getting a perfect GPA. My parents are friends with Aldridge's parents, and they always compare me to him. Why can't you be as hardworking? Why can't you be as smart? Why can't you just focus on your work other than thinking of boys? And I absolutely hate it. I can never be good enough to them, always second best to them. It's frustrating and stressing. I just wish they wouldn't see my achievements for once, but my hard work instead. Don't you?

Sincerely,

Lizzabeth