Chapter 4

I shook my head and stepped back from his touch. His touch actually made me shudder. But for some reason, it didn't felt bad. Remind me to go see my physician next time. "No! You listen to me, Ian. You are under a shock." Wiggling my fingers around, I continued, "This stuff you are saying... isn't making any sense. They are nothing but a product of your imagination. Get out of it. Jump back to your room and get some sleep and if you are not feeling comfortable there you are welcome to sleep on my couch although it would be a little small for you." See, how nice I am.

A loud breaking sound vibrated through Ian's apartment which made us turn towards his room. I peered inside his room to see what had happened when I see one of the two men coming round the corner of the living room which was sparsely visible to me. I leaned over the gap to look closely but I was pulled down forcibly making me fall on my butt.

Turning towards Ian, who was sitting down with his back against the wall and head ducked below the height of window sill, I hissed, "What's wrong with you?"

He hissed back, "What's wrong with me? What's wrong with you? What the f*ck were you doing back there?"

I winched because of his tone and his use of that word. "I was just checking." The sound of footsteps approaching towards Ian's bedroom window could be heard clearly. Two pairs of footsteps.

"Yeah! You do that. Might as well flag them over here." He whisper-yelled at me. I was about to move from my not so comfortable place when he pulled me back again making me crash to his body. I was almost sitting on his lap. My cheeks started getting hot. "Will you just quit it and don't move for a while?" He whispered in my ears. Too close. His lips almost touched my ears. If my heart was racing like a horse before now it was racing like a formula 1 racing car. I sat frozen on his lap with wide saucer-shaped eyes anticipating what might happen next.

"Kŭde otidokha?" What language is that?

"Ne znam. No nie tryabva da poglednem v apartament na momicheto."

"Shit!" Ian hissed. I turned to face him. Big mistake. Too close! Abort! Abort! I turned back to look straight towards my bedroom door.

"Wh...What happened? Can you understand what they are saying?" I asked him in a whisper.

"No, I can't but they said momiche and apartment in one line. Momiche means girl in Bulgarian and the only girl here is you. That means, they going to enter this apartment. We need to get out of here, right now!" He whispered back urgently.

"Or better we can call the cops!"

"No! Cops can't handle this situation."

"What the hell are you talking about?"

"On the count of three.."

"Wait...what?"

"...you reach the door and hide behind the wall..."

"Are you insane?"

"...then I'll run to the main door and open it..."

"This is madness."

"...you get out through the door and I'll follow you."

I couldn't hold on anymore and pushed myself up off from his lap standing in the clear view of the two thieves. "This is utterly nonsensical. We should call the cops. They are just thieves." I turned towards the two men standing by Ian's bedroom window. "And they..."

I didn't even had the chance to finish the sentence when Ian pulled me down again and that very second something wheezed through the air just above my head. I gasped loudly. What was that?