Chapter 19

The first thing I felt as consciousness came back to me was the throbbing pain in the side of my head followed by dizziness. I really need to stop waking up like this. My head was on something soft but the ground my rest of the body was lying on was cold and hard. It felt like metal under my palms. I opened my eyes to only see darkness again. At first, I couldn't remember anything and then like a tsunami everything rushed at me overwhelming me to the point of hyperventilation.

"Oh god!" I sat up. A screamed ripped out of my mouth when I felt a hand on my back.

"Ssh! It's me. Ian."

"Ian?" I turned around in my sitting position and reached out to touch him. Since it was pitch dark I couldn't see him.

"Yes. I'm right here." My hand got hold of the fabric of his shirt. It felt oddly wet and sticky. Disregarding it, I leaped off my place and threw myself on him. He must not have expected my sudden assault as he staggered back but soon his arms found their place around my waist. If my hug was too tight and suffocating him he didn't complain.

For a minute we stayed like that without saying anything. When my breath slowed down to a normal pace I unwounded myself from our embrace. But I didn't back off completely. In this darkness where I couldn't even see my own hands, I needed to feel his touch so I don't start panicking again.

"Where are we?"

"I don't know exactly but we are in some dockyard inside a container." That explains the metal. "How are feeling?" I felt his hand on my cheek. His fingers were rough against my skin but the touch was warm and comforting.

"Not great." I shrugged. "You okay?"

"Yeah." Although he said so his voice was telling some other story. It was strained and there was a slight lisping in it.

"You're sure?"

"I had better days," he said with a sigh. I gave out a sigh myself along with him. Scooting sideways, I felt a corrugated metal wall. I turned slightly and rested my back on it. Ian's shoulder was touching mine along with our arms and legs.

"What happened once I blacked out? Did he hit you too?"

"Yeah. But to knock me out it took more than just one hit. I woke up an hour ago and much to my relief found you here with me though you were still unconscious."

I winced hearing his words. "Where are you hurt?"

"A lot of places?" Another wince escaped my mouth. I reached out my hand and patted the non-existent space between us. He jumped when my hand touched his thigh.

"What are you doing?"

"Searching for your hand."

"Why?"

"To dance the tango! What do you thing?"

"Hu?."

"Arg! Just me your hand, Ian. I need to hold it."

"Oh." His hand found mine and I intertwined our fingers. The warmth of his hand gave a sense of calmness and safety to me. Though I knew nothing around us was remotely calm and safe.

"Can you tell whether it's day or night?"

"I think it's night."

"If I wasn't locked up here I would have been partying in some frat house."

Ian snorted next to me. "Yeah, right."

Feeling offended, I asked, "What?"

"You? Partying? In a frat house? Right."