Chapter 14 (Part One): Welcome Back

Days passed in the Glass Room. I could feel the call of my wolf, threatening the impending week of the full moon. Whether it was my animal form or my prolonged stay in this cage, I was getting restless.

Still, the rebels would alternate between Brooke and me for more Programs. They would never take us together.

Mine had become increasingly torturous. I was always pushed to the point of breaking, forced to spell cast or suffer.

But I took the pain in stride, sporting my bruises and battle scars like medals of honour. Each time, I would refuse to cast, relying on bending to get me through.

Brooke had recently left for another Program. I paced.

Many of the other captives relaxed whenever she was gone. I suppose, punching a friend did not help with one's positive first impression. I had been projected as the approachable one, something I used to my advantage. Eyeing Danny's crew in the corner, I made my way to the two purebreds.

Astrid and Mara sat on one of the couches, a magazine spread between them. They looked up as the couch sagged beside them. "Hello!" I greeted.

Mara put the magazine down, "Skip the small talk. You and your Alpha never speak to anyone unless you want something."

So maybe the favour I had to ask of Neo about the security detail, the guard rotation schedules borrowed from Henry, and the request for an unlimited fireball supply from Dexter and Soren hadn't gone unnoticed.

"Well, if it's not too personal.... Why are you two here if you're not hybrids?"

They laughed.

Astrid dipped her voice low, "They perfected their own Gene S a few months after the Imperials. I mean, look at Hue, he's hybrid. Everyone knows he's part Zana, but his other race is unknown. We Imperials have been tricked for years."

"So what are we here for? Why do they need hybrid children?"

"That, I'm afraid, we do not know."

Infuriated, I got up to storm over to our resident rebels. However, Brooke intercepted me. She had both her hands clenched into fists, an enraged air surrounded her.

Immediately, my anger sobered; I cautioned, "Brooke?"

My best friend dropped her tense shoulders, shaking her head, "I messed up, bad."

"Tell me everything." We sat as all ears tuned into our conversation.

"I refused to shout because I was scared I was using too much magica. The Program was at least ten minutes of strenuous use.

Apparently, according to my vitals I still had a decent supply left, and I should've been able to sense it too. I didn't know how much I had used by that point; so, I just couldn't risk it.

Danver got so mad. He suspected that I might be holding back. Then, he told me that the rebels had managed to capture someone from our pack. Someone of rank."

I blanched.

Shelly asked, "What does she mean by of rank?"

I didn't look her in the eye as I answered, "Only three people are of rank in a pack: the Alpha, Beta, and Gamma."

Then I thought about Boe, he would be left to safeguard the pack, my skin turned paler, "Oh Boe."

Brooke's shoulders sagged low, "I'm so sorry Mae. Once again, I've failed as an Alpha."

"No, it's not your fault. Don't ever think that." I got up and everyone cringed.

No one wanted to be in the way of an angry Northerner. Surprising them all, I simply sat myself on a separate couch, away from everyone.