Chapter 26: Northern Style

February 9 th

THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING! Command just gave me the most important audio recording of my life! We found her.

Allow me to back track a little. Today, we sent another raid to the Western Boarding School. We needed new hybrids, so I gave Lupus the order to retrieve some. Well, he ended up finding something much more worthwhile.

Lupus broke into a random classroom. But as chance may have it, Mae was in that room! Now this part surprises me the most. She grabbed Lupus' walkie-talkie and immediately announced her presence to Command.

She used the life of the new Commander for blackmail. For his safety, we were asked to retreat. At this point, it did not matter if we came out of the attack with new hybrids. She is the only one we need now. 

We were left with no choice. One of my advisors monitoring the invasion gave the signal to abide by her demands.

I'm not mad; this saves me a lot of trouble. With Mae Measquit on our side, the rebels could have a shot at winning our biggest prize. Finally, it's within our grasp. She is young, headstrong, and definitely a force to be reckoned with. Through the short recording I was given, I could feel the potential in her words.

After all, words are the most powerful thing.

This entry was written the day after my arrival at WSBS. That last line struck my soul. I poured over the words from this passage, trying to catch some sort of meaning. But I couldn't find it.

Why did Danver believe that I could end the war? Why do I have potential in my words? What made words so powerful?

Snazzy phrases and inspiring words did not win battles. Sometimes, words couldn't even stay a blade. Yet, that the last line could not simply be a coincidence.

"Mae! Are you awake yet? Get up! Danny needs to talk to you!" Brooke pounded on the quarter's door. Her anger was fuelled by the upcoming full moon. It was in two nights.

Frantically, I stashed the newly turned word-puzzle book under my pillow. I exited the room.

Pinpointing Danny, alone, I shuffled towards him. He was holding one arm, rubbing it guiltily. The other Imperials were scattered around the room and out of hearing range.

I didn't want to speak with Danny after hearing about his betrayal.

"Forgive my appearance. It was a long night yesterday." My words were icy and clipped. 

"Oh please, Mae. Not you too? Whatever you guys think I did, I didn't do it."

"Is this a bad time to bring up your betrayal?"

"I didn't betray you! I promised that I would prove my worth. And I did. No one could've accounted for Shelly and Mara's treachery. This is unfair; I had nothing to do with that!"

"Shelly is a rebel. What's your excuse for that? Your father was getting inside information. He knew about it all! Why shouldn't I assume you did as well? You are his heir after all."

"There are hundreds of rebels; I have yet to know a fraction of them all. Don't think you're all high and mighty Princess. Surely you don't know the names of all your subjects either. Do you actually think my father and I are on speaking terms now? When Mara sold me out, he was furious!"

Danny's eyes went wide. I leaned in closer, staring into his eyes. I'd seen the same look before, in prey, when they were trapped and cornered with nowhere else to run.

I didn't say anything for a while. So Danny backed away from me.

A spark of apprehension from the rebel drew my gaze to his clutched arm. I snatched it before he could step away.