Chapter 29: A True Battle

I spotted the others at the very edge of the throng. The whirling bodies of battle flanked them on all sides. Yet armed, my friends were not exercising their skills in combat. I believed that I was partly at fault for that.

On the way to the battlefield, I had debriefed them on my discoveries in the journal. Their views on the rebels had changed. But they still had felt the need to assist their Imperial brethren. As I looked behind me, in the general direction of the two traitors, I understood the longing. Sometimes, revenge hid better judgement.

"They took Danny! He's being taken to my father! The Northerners want his life. Please, we can't let this happen!" I almost tackled Boe in my hysterics.

"Mae, slow down." Boe took my shoulders and held me at arm's length. I found myself engulfed in reassurance. "If the Northerners have him, they probably took him back inside. We should start there. We'll divide the compound between us."

Henry shifted into human form. "I agree. Danny helped us get where we were, and he's been a valuable ally. If his life's in danger, I won't stand by it."

"There are six of us here. We'll split the compound six ways. If you find him, contact everyone and do not engage."

We nodded in compliance. Together, we bolted back the way we came.

~~*~~

Once inside the compound, we changed course, heading for the Ligno Matre. As it was located in the heart of the compound, it seemed like a good place to begin our search. 

When the tree came into view, we caught sight of a lone figure slinking around the trunk. He heard our pounding footsteps and a hand went to his waist. I saw a flash of metal. A wild look consumed his eyes.

It took me a moment to recall. "Terrin?"

The boy looked up when his name was called. "Mae?"

I paired a face to a memory. We had talked during my time behind enemy bars. He was the hybrid in the cage across from mine, the vampire demi-daemon.

"What're you doing here?" I asked.

"Some mercenaries broke into the cells and released everyone."

I smiled. My allies were full of surprises. "We're looking for Danny Solway. Have you seen him anywhere?"

"Hold on." Terrin closed his eyes in concentration. "I sense it. He passed by a little while ago. There were some pretty scary soldiers escorting him. That's my power: I can view the world through another's eyes and search into their recent memories. He's that way," the demi-daemon pointed in the direction of the Rebel Assembly Room.

"Thank you." I rushed out, motioning my companions on.

We abandoned our plan to search the compound. Instead, we pursued this new lead. Hallways blurred as I tuned into my werewolf speed. My lungs and calves burned because of the sprinting I had put my body through. But we had to get there before it was too late.

Boe tapped my shoulder just before we reached the door. I slowed to account for the non-wolves.

He smirked at me. "Have you made secret alliances with everyone at the compound? I mean, the mercenaries were a pretty impressive grab. But that other guy, Terrin? He was a former captive. Then, there's the alliance with Danny."

I smiled. "Jealous are we? It's politics Boe. Alone, you may be strong, but with allies you can only get stronger."

The other Imperials came to a halt before us. We took a moment to recollect our harried breathing. Then, as one, we entered the room. Soon, everyone had melted into the shadows. My eyes zeroed onto a battered figure in the center of the room. Danny.