Chapter 28: Discovery and Revelations

"LUNA, THE EARTH MOTHER, AND THE FLIPPING TREE!" I cursed, smacking my hand on the paper. The answer was there the entire time! How could I have been so blind!

Neo tumbled back, falling out of his chair. Clearly, my outburst had shocked him. Brooke's eyes were wide, mouth agape.

But it was Boe who had the courage to ask, "Mae?"

"Look at this!" I shoved the prophecy to him, making some of his papers fly. "The answer has been in front of our faces the whole time."

Neo and Brooke leaned over to see the prophecy as well. I had circled all of the capital letters. Boe held up a finger to stop my onslaught of angry words. "This makes sense."

That was all he could say?

I didn't get the opportunity to say that thought out loud, because Danny, Hue, Sean, Corey, and Ryan strolled into the Glass Room. Quickly, Boe swept up all the papers, including my prophecy. They disappeared into his front pocket. Magic was wondrous indeed.

Neo, Brooke, Boe, and I were the only people in the main room. The rebels bore looks of confusion, before heading our way.

"Where are the others?" Danny slid into the seat beside me, a deck of cards in his hands. I angled my head to the sleeping quarters in response. He nodded, and then addressed the other Imperials, "Poker?"

We accepted his invitation.

When we played, we didn't gamble with money. Instead, we played in rounds; if you had the lowest hand, then you were eliminated from the tournament. Folding was not allowed.

After gently lifting my two cards, I fought back a smile. My hand created a straight with the flop. Then the turn card increased the value of my straight.

Inside, I was doing a happy dance. I was safe this round.

The river card didn't help matters at all. But when everyone revealed their hands, my combination was on top. Corey was eliminated.

A few more rounds were played. I found myself surprisingly surviving each turn.

The final round consisted of Brooke, Danny, and me. It was the first time I had made it to the finals. Hue dealt the cards, and I peeked at my hand with one eye closed. Two Kings, one was a diamond and the other was a spade.

The five of spades, ten of spades, and ace of clubs in the flop did not help me at all. But a pair was nice to have. Tension filled the air when another ace became the turn card. If the river was an ace again, I would most likely win. All eyes were on the final card. I saw it move I slow motion.

When it flipped over, I shrieked with joy. Ace of hearts.

I quickly revealed my hand, "Full house."

Danny and Brooke both uncovered losing hands. The rebel turned to congratulate me. But he was interrupted by an alarm.

It was followed by a panicked voice on the speakers, "ATTENTION! CODE 9-1-1! I repeat: Code 911. This is not a drill. Code 911. All units to your emergency positions!"

The rebels immediately dropped everything and ran to the doors. On their way out, they almost bumped into some guards coming in.

"What are you doing?" Danny accused them. "The hybrids are the least of your problems! We have Imperial soldiers at our doors! Did you not hear the announcement? All units to your emergency positions! Get away from here and trust that no rescuers are going to break through our defences."

The guards looked flabbergasted. They must've received orders, specifically, to keep us under their watch. I could see the conflict in their eyes as they tried to determine whose words undermined whose.