Chapter 22: The Dot in the Horizon

Slowly, everything began falling into place. Dexter, though bedridden, had recovered from most of his wounds. Food was stolen from the pantry and stored under our beds. All our weapons were recovered and concealed. Everyone had a rough understanding of the guard rotation. Boe had brought forth some simple explosive bombs for the electric fence. Lastly, to cover our escape, several smoke and steam bombs were available.

Our belongings packed, we were prepared to flee at a moment's notice. Danny had provided drawstring bags for all of us. Still, everyone was wary when it came to insurgent rebels. But we couldn't deny a helping hand, when we so desperately needed one.

The sole element missing was the exit. With the new guard schedules, came a fresh round of trouble. All entrances were maintained and monitored by a small patrol of security. No one came in or out of the compound without first being approved by the Solways.

We were like threatened cobras, coiled and ready to strike. Tensions ran high and we all knew that our time would come soon. But for now, our docile personas were our best weapons. Today, poker kept our faces stoic.

Then, Danny walked in. Already having been eliminated, I lifted a brow upon seeing him. He had some board shorts on, accompanied by a white tee. Sunglasses covered his eyes, but a smirk was very visible.

Everyone looked up; Danny invited. "How would you like to join me and a couple other rebels in an outdoor volleyball game?"

I had a hunch, so I projected to him. "This is our chance, isn't it?"

"Pack your bags," he instructed mentally.

After I relayed the message back to the others, the mood shifted. We were immediately all-business. Everyone packed carefully, carrying only two changes of clothes in their bags. Some snuck in food and water bottles underneath their garments.

For weapons, I placed some bobby pins (knifes) into my hair and slipped on my Battle Gauntlets. Buttons (bombs) and my concealed bow were next. A beaded bracelet went around my wrist; all of the beads were medical kits.

Lastly, I put the paper prophecy and the concealed journal, in the form of a word puzzle book, into my bag as well.

When I was ready, Dexter rasped, "I'm not going with you."

Henry, having overheard Dexter's statement, was incredulous, "Why not?! This is our way out. We'll make it this time."

"I've already had my chance for escape, and I blew it. Besides, I'll be a burden. I can't run as fast as you; I'm still recovering."

Our faces went grim.

"We'll come back for you," Henry promised, clapping his friend on the shoulder.

Then Mara surprised us all, "Dexter will be fine. But I think I might stay with him, until he recovers. Just get to the road. We'll be waiting."

Mara and Shelly gave each other a look; the pair had become close.

Everybody took a moment for goodbyes. Undoubtingly, Mara and Dexter would be interrogated once we were gone; for their sake, we had to return quickly, with an army of Imperials at our backs.

Once we joined Danny, the Imperials put up fake smiles. Danny briefly had a look of confusion, after seeing two of our members missing, but he let it slide without any protests.

As we passed the halls of the rebel compound, I couldn't help but commit every detail to memory. Memories were made in this place.

Shelly was apprehensive, looking over her shoulder every so often. So I projected to her, "Everything's going to be fine. By this time tomorrow, we'll be well on our way to freedom."