Chapter 5: So Many Questions That Cannot Be Answered

Year: 1222

Mongolia

I woke up in the bath tub. I looked at my hands and the rest of me. I was a prune! My skin was as white and it could be. I never realized I liked my tan so much. I must have fallen asleep in the bath tub. I looked around and saw a towel. I grabbed it and got out of the tub and drained it. I closed my eyes and then opened them to see if that made my vision come back. It was still blurred but at least I could see a bit better than I did before.

I walked over to the counter where my night gown was. It was still folded neatly and just how I left it. I dried off a bit more and then slipped the gown on. I tied my medium brown hair up with a ribbon. I looked in the mirror and looked myself over. I looked like a really big walking prune. I was in there for a long time, perhaps a few hours at the most. Holy shit, I did not think I would fall asleep. I looked myself over one more time and knew that I had to be careful. If not, I could cut myself pretty bad.

I turned to the door and opened it. It was dark out and it was probably getting close to midnight. I took one step outside the bathroom when my Assassin senses kicked in and I heard voices from down stairs talking. Assassins have better hearing because we have to hear conversations from a faraway bench. We learned how to do that all on our own. There was no training for it; we had to learn by ourselves. I was use to listening in on other people talking so I soon was able to hear people talking from a mile away.

"Maria, I have no clue how I am going to tell her."

"You are going to have to tell her at some point. Since she will be living here with us, you better tell her soon."

"How am I going to tell her?"

"Je ne sais pas. [I do not know]"

"Maria, she had one of the letters."

I stopped myself from listening in and walked to my room and closed the door quietly. What were they talking about?! I knew they were talking about telling me something. I am assuming my parents because Mentor mentioned the letter I had. What he did not know was that I had several letters. Actually, I had every single letter my parents had sent my grandparents. There was about ten of them and then, they just stopped.

Perhaps, my parents were dead and that is why Mentor had trouble telling me. I turned around so that I was facing my bed and I noticed a plate with some food. I walked over to the plate to look at what was on it. There were some steamed vegetables, mashed potatoes and some meat. I think it was chicken. I walked over to my bed and sat down. I started eating the meal that had been left for me.

I noticed that there was a note just above the plate. I turned on my oil lamp and looked at the note.

Here is dinner Harees. Hope you enjoy. Your Mentor has something planned for you tomorrow, so get some rest mon enfant. [my child] -Maria

I looked at the note a little longer. I set it on the night stand and walked over to the chest. I got out every single letter I had from my parents and laid them out on my bed. I examined each one very closely while eating the rest of my cold dinner. I looked at each one. Every one had been signed with M. A. The M was signed a bit more with a swirl at the end of the letter while the A was straight forward.

So, both letters were signed by different people. The M by one person and the A by another. Mentor mentioned something about how the initials were by both my parents, perhaps that is what he meant, was that one letter was for ma mère [my mother] and the other was for ma père [my father].