Chapter 22: Taker

Chapter 22: Taker

Year: 1225

Masyaf prison

  I got thrown in my cell again with bounds on my wrist and legs. I was cut, bruised and sore from their torture. I landed face first on the concrete floor and groaned. I heard the cell door close. I tried to get up but it was no use. I just laid there. I had knives cut me all over the place. Once they had enough of cutting me, Abbas left and it was just Swami and I again. I closed my eyes trying to get rid of the memory. I heard shuffling and then Malik was right beside me. During the time I was gone, he untied himself. He looked over me and then untied my bounds. Once I was free, I crawled towards the wall and rested my back against it. I was in pain, so much pain. The cuts, bruises and emotional pain was taking it is toll on me. I groaned and then rest my head back. The dried blood on my neck cracked at the movement. I closed my eyes and tried to forget what happened to me just then.

  I could feel warm hands on me. It jolted my eyes opened and I lifted my head from the wall to look at Malik just staring at me in shock. He was finally realizing how serious they were and how deadly they could be if they wanted to. If Abbas still had the apple, we would all be dead. I looked at Malik and he looked over me. I had cuts down my arms, legs, face and a few on my torso. They were not very deep but would leave scars for me to look at everyday and remember what they did to me.

"What happened Harees?"

"Those fils de pûte [bastards] tortured me!" I tried to yell but it came out as a loud whisper

  He rested his hand on my cheek and I flinched. Not because he touched me or because he was giving me pain but because of what they did. He took his hand off my face. I could not look at him. I just kept looking at the ground, it was too hard and I could not do it. I could see in the corner of my eye Malik looked worried. I wanted to reassure him it was nothing but I could not. He could see the damage they did. I could not hide it like I did with everything else. Malik gently touched every one of my wounds. Examining them to see how badly they were. I flinched every time he touched me.

"What did they do to you?" asked Malik as he examined my wounds even more,

"They took knives and cut me. They took their fist and bruised me. They took . . ."

  My voice trailed off. I could not finish my sentence. What they did to me was something that would scare me forever. Haunt me in my dreams. I could not take it anymore. I closed my eyes hoping I could get the picture out of my head but it kept coming back. I shook my head trying to get rid of the pictures haunting me, taunting me. I felt a tear roll down my face and Malik wiped it away with his thumb. I could not look at him. Not yet. I heard shuffles and Malik was sitting right beside me and had his arm wrapped around me. I rested my head on his shoulder as I cried. He held me close, never letting go.

"I am sorry Harees." Malik whispered

  I sniffed and just rested my head on his shoulder. He took his arm away from me and went to attend to my wounds. I opened my eyes and looked down at my bloodied, ripped, torn robes. I moved myself up against the wall again and groaned. Malik looked at me with concern in his eyes. I looked at him with shame, depression and hurt in my own eyes. He looked down at my wound again. He looked around the cell as if whatever he was looking for was going to be found in the room. I looked at him to see what he wanted.

"What is it Malik?" I asked

"I need something to wrap around your wounds." 

I looked down at myself. Most of my clothes were ripped or torn. I went to get up, but failed and fell on my ass. Malik was over to my side right away. He took my arm in his hands and held me where I was. I looked up at him and he looked at me again with worry. I looked down at my clothes and then to him.