Chapter 13: Adding Someone Else To The Family

Year: 1223

Mongolia

  Father suggests we move to near the north of Mongolia. We were just bringing the last of our things to our new house. Father and I were heading towards the house. The house was big enough for all five of us plus Darim's wife and kids. I had met them when they came down a couple of days ago and they have the sweetest kids and his wife is so nice and helpful. At least now, I will not have to help out in the kitchen much. I wanted to adventure out in the world. I wanted to go places. I was not ready to get married or have kids.

  It is not that I have nothing against kids, it is just, I am not ready and I do not think I will be for a long time. Perhaps I will be like my parents. They did not even get married until they were in their thirties. The thing is, I am twenty-eight and have not found anybody.

"Tifl, I have to tell you something."

"Go ahead, papa."

"You have a brother."

  I let out a small chuckle, "Yes, I do and his name is Darim." I said sarcastically

"No, you have another brother."

  I was silent for a bit. I had to process this information. Did I have two brothers?

"What are you saying papa?"

"You have two brothers."

  I was silent and focused on the road ahead of us. If I had another brother, then, why have I not met him before? Then a thought came to mind. No, I had to erase it from my mind. That cannot be why he is telling me, can it? No, it cannot be. It cannot be.

"Why are you telling me this now?"

"Because, it is either now or when he comes down in a couple of days. I thought it would be easier to explain now than when he came down."

  Good, my theory is wrong. I did not want it to be right.

"Is he an older brother or younger brother?"

"He is a year younger."

"You and maman must have been anxious to have kids . . ." I whispered to myself but he had heard

"Harees!"

"Quoi?! [what]"

"Do not speak like that!"

"Sorry! It was just a thought, okay. Se calm-toi. [calm down]"

  We were silent for a few moments before my father started to smile. I looked over at him confused.

"Qu'est-ce que est si drôle? [what is so funny]"

"Anti. [you]"

"Moi? How am I funny?"

"You remind me of me at your age."

"Is that not Darim's or my mystery brothers job?"

"Perhaps, but since I was really the only parental figure around, you took from me. You act like me, sound like me and even talk like me, tifl."

  I smiled at my father. We never spoke for the rest of the ride to the house. It was farther away from the village, but it was in a safe place. I could not imagine losing my family again, not after I had just found them. When we had got there to the house, we walked our horses to the makeshift stable. Our next project was to build a stable. When I hooked up my horse, I noticed an extra horse in there. I did a count inside my head and there was an extra horse in there. Whose was it?

"He is here early."

"Whom is here early?"

He let out a low chuckle, "Your brother, tifl."

  I swallowed hard. I was not ready for this. I looked at my father and then back to my horse. Suddenly, my shoulder started to hurt. I went in my pouch and got out the bottle and took a cap full of the medicine. It is been three weeks since I got hurt. I should be off this medicine by now but I somehow find an excuse to take some. I have not even touched the Pasque Flower. The Monkshood was doing just fine. It was working, but it was also making me through-up whatever food I put in my mouth. I was trying to stop taking it but it was also revealing stress and pain from within me. Sometimes, I would not take just for my shoulder, but I would take it for the rest of me. I knew it was a poison but as long as I did not have too much, I would be fine, right?

  My father looked over to me and saw that I was worrying. He walked over and cupped my face like a father would when he saw that one of his children was hurt or they were worrying. Now I was kind of glad that Altaïr is my father and not someone else. He put his family first and cared for everyone.

"Tifl, it will be fine."

  He looked me deep in his eyes and then looked down at the bottle in my hands. His hands lowered to the bottle and he took it away from my hands gently.

"I cannot let you drink anymore of this poison. If your shoulder really hurts that bad, I will get Maria to make an ointment out of this. You cannot be consuming this every time you feel something, Harees."

  I let him take the bottle as he walked off. He got to the door and turned around and waited for me to follow him. I walked towards him and sighed, I was going to have to do this either way. When I stop directly beside him, he puts his arm around me. Not as my Mentor but as my loving father. He shut the door to the makeshift stable and we both headed inside. When we got to the door, before he opened it, he looked back to me.

"Do not worry. This is not the first time you guys are meeting."

"What do you mean?"

"You will see, anti tifl. [my child]"

  When Altaïr opened the door and walked in, I followed behind him. He walked over to the kitchen as I walked to the living room where Darim and his wife and kids sat. I walked over when I saw a man leaning against the wall. He looked somewhat like Darim. He had short brown hair and he had the same light brown eyes all of us had. I remember him. I walked over to the circle and just stood there until he noticed me.

  He uncrossed his arms and walked over to me. I walked towards him and gave him a hug. God, it has been a while! I had a smile on my face now and we both let go and got out of our hug. He had his hands on my shoulders. I did not even cringe when his hands settled on my sore shoulder.

"Harees! God, how long?"

"Quit long brother, quit long indeed."

"You are still the same Harees, right?"

"I am a bit different from last time we saw each other."

"How so?"

"Well, I am your sister."

  He let out a laugh.

"You always have, you just did not know until it hit you in the face."

  I smiled at him and he put his hands back down on his side. I put my hand to my shoulder for a second and then put my hand back down to my side. I heard footsteps come towards us and then there was an arm around me and another arm around my brother. I looked up to find our brother staring at us.

"You guys have met before?"

"Met?! More like stabbed each other with wood!"

  I laughed and met both of my brothers eyes. That made me smile to see how much love was in both of their eyes. They both had families and I was a part of it. I was glad I was. I could not imagine a better family to be a part of. Altaïr called my brothers name;

"Sef, come here! I need you for a second."

Sef got out from under Darim's arm and walked over to father. I looked up at Darim and he gave me a funny look which made me laugh. I walked over to the bench where Darims wife was sitting down. I sat beside her and smiled as wide as I could. One of Darims' daughters came over to me and we started to play together.

Today is the best day of my life.