Chapter 31: Saved

Chapter 31: Saved

Year: 1247

Masyaf

  We walked out of the castle and walked through the entryway.  We started to walk down the hill when I saw the Darim run to us. A smile appeared on my face. He went into a jog and then to a walk when he got closer to us. He opens his arms to go in for a hug. I hug him and then he moved to father. I look ahead of us and then over to Darim and father. Darim move to father’s side and we continue to walk down the hill. Father cleared his throat before he spoke up.

"Why did you show Abbas respect? After what he did to you."

"Baaba, he made me . . . stronger in a way. I had to learn everything over again to build myself up. He has made me who I am today. In a way, he saved me."

"How so tifl?"

"He saved me, from me. If it were not for him, I would have ended my life right there in that jail cell."

  I looked over the father and then to the ground. It was not something that I wanted to talk about to father or Darim, but, I had to eventually. It was something I had to do or else it would somehow eat at me.

"I knew that it would be no use to kill myself because if I did, that meant that Abbas would win.  I could not let that happen. I stayed strong and hoped that you would come to save us. On the day you saved us, I was ready to die. Whatever last bit of hope I had, had vanished and I was ready for deaths embrace."

  I turn again to look at father. Tears started to feel his eyes. Darim was walking ahead of us. I stopped and then fully turned myself to him. I quickly wrapped my arms around his waist. Father was starting to breathe heavily. I loosened my grip on him just a bit. We stood there and hugged for a bit before I felt another set of arms wrap around us. All three of us just stood there and hugged. I let go and so did Darim and father.

"Tifl, is this . . . is this true?"

"Oui, but you saved me as well. I was ready to die but you gave me that small glimmer of hope again."

  I looked down to the ground and then looks straight to father.

"J'taime. [I love you]"

"Ana b'hebbek [I love you]"

  I smiled and then we walk down the hill. By the time we got to the bottom, I saw the shadow of a horse pulling into the stables. I started to walk toward the gate and then I see Sage getting off his horse. I ran up to him and hugged him from behind. He turned around and we hugged. I look up to him and smiled. My hood was up as it usually was. He could probably only see my smile.

"Someone is happy that I am here."

"I did not expect you here so soon."

"I got my sister to look after nous enfants. [our children] I hope that is fine with you."

"Oui, I like your sister with our kids. They like her."

  Sage gave me a smile and then leaned down and kissed me. He pulled away a second later and smiled. He grabbed his bag and put it over his shoulder. We walked through the gates. Sage gasped at all the dead Assassins lying everywhere and then look down to me. I looked down to the ground and then up to Sage.

"Abbas' men. They were being controlled, never once and never will be one of our own."

  Sage just nodded his head and we continued to walk up the hill. Once we got about halfway up, an Assassin ran up in front of me. He put his hands in a fist and then put it up to his chest. He bent down and put his arm down.