Chapter 15 (part one): Defeating One Battle At A Time

Year: 1210

Age: 14

Masyaf

  It was Sef and I. This time, we were using real swords but they were not sharpened so we could not hurt each other as bad as we could if the swords are sharpened. We were both in the starting circle, waiting for our trainer to start us. Sef and I had become best friends over the years and we were both the best in our class. It was both us dueling to see whom really the best of the class is. Our trainer said that some of us might get out of training today and start on missions and get Mentors.

  I guess I somewhat already had a Mentor. The man who kept getting me and bringing me here, I call him Mentor but only because it seemed right to call him that than 'assayed'. I had learned a bit of Arabic over the years because pretty much everybody here spoke it. It was something I had to learn. Mentor had taught me some words and the rest I learned on my own. I only learned Arabic to know what people were saying so I did not have to ask what they had just said. French will always be my first language no matter what.

“Rooh! [go]”

  We both stepped out of our starting circles. We both had our swords in front of us. Sef had his sword in front of him, while mine was above my head ready to block or do counter. Sef was standing while I was crouching a bit. Sef did not seem worried while I had my game face on. Wrong move Sef, wrong move. Sef and I had always been together to battle it out so I knew his weaknesses and his strengths. The thing is, he showed them while I tried to hide my own as much as possible.

  We started to move around in a circle. I was trying to figure out how to pin him down while he was trying to intimidate me. We kept going around in a circle before some of the other kids shouted at us to start. Sef made the first move, aiming for my stomach. I moved my sword down slightly from where it had been and blocked his attack. I moved my sword back to where it was before. Sef tried to make another attack for my shoulder but my sword hit his and blocked it again.

  Sef was starting to get impatient and attacked again. This time, I was not going to let him be in a standing position again. Sef went for my leg this time. I hit his sword with all my might to knock it out of his hands. While his sword was slipping through his hands, I took one step forward and punched him in the stomach causing him to grab his stomach and have a lose grip on his sword. He took a few steps back to get away from me. He had his head down to the ground. He was back to a standing position in a few seconds. As soon as he was up, I moved forward and did another counter attack.

  I hit his sword hard enough that it flew out of his hands as I took a step to punch him in the stomach again. This time, he was ready for me to punch him. He grabbed my hand and held it tight. I was certain he was going to break my fingers. I had to think fast. I still had one hand free, so I turned my body a bit so that I could get a good hit to his face. I elbowed him in the face and his head snapped back as he let go of my hand.

  I stepped back away from him and saw him take a couple more steps back. He was close to the wall of the circle. While he was getting ready to stand back up and defend himself, I ran over to his sword and picked it up with my free hand. I went back to face him just a couple of steps in front of him. I put one sword above my head and the other near my stomach.

  Sef was back to standing up and I noticed a bit of blood just in the corner of his mouth. I smiled at him. Sef had no swords but I still had to be careful. I looked over him. His weak spots were his stomach, but he was also running out of energy, which was another weakness for him. He took a step forward as I stood in place; I knew what he was going to do. He was going to try to intimidate me so that I moved exactly where he wanted me to. I had fallen for that trick a few times. Not this time.