Chapter 32: Leaving

Chapter 32: Leaving

Year: 1257

Masyaf

  I walked into the library with Darim and head towards father. I look over to father and then to Darim. We stop in front of father. He is holding something in his hands. I look down to his hands for a second and then look back up to him. I could not tell what he was holding.

“You have seen to my books?”

“Yes. Some we sent with the Polos and whatever books that did not go with them, will go with Harees. The rest will go with me to Alexandria.”

“Good. Very good.”

  I looked between the two of them. I looked around the library and then looked over to the two of them. I was about to speak up, when Darim had already said what I wanted to ask.

“Father, I do not understand . . . why did you build a library if you did not intend to keep your books-”

  Father cut Darim off, “You should go. When the Mongols return, Masyaf must be empty.”

  My eyes widen when I realized what was going on. I was about to speak up when Darim spoke up for me. I was probably oddly quiet to them.

“I see. This is not a library at all. It is a vault.”

“The seals you found. You gave them to the Polos to hide because they open this door.”

“It must stay hidden. Far from eager hands. At least until it has passed on the secret it contains.”

“What secret?”

  Darim started to walk towards father but I put my hand on his chest and stop him. I looked over to him as father spoke up.

“Go be with your family, and live well. Same with you Harees.”

  I put my arm down and then looked towards father and Darim. Father put the box under his other arm as Darim walked up to father and hugged him.

“All that is good in me, began with you, father.”

  Darim stepped back and then looked towards father. I took a step closer to him and then hugged him. He wrapped an arm around me.

“I forgive you, father.”

  I pulled away and then looked to father and then to Darim. I stepped beside Darim. Father grabbed the box he had just put under his arm and then pulled it out and then handed it towards me.

“Take it Harees.”

“But . . . what is it?”

“My original robes. I want you to have them. Give them to one of your children when they are old enough.”

“I do not understand . . . why me?”

“No time to explain. You must go.”

  Darim put his arm around mine and started to pull me away. Father took a few steps into his library as we took a few steps back. I looked down to the box that I have in my hands and then look back at father as the door closes. Darim and I both put a fist up to our chest as the door closes. The door closed as Darim and I took a few steps back and then headed out the library. I kept looking down to the box in my hands. We made it out to our horses and got on them. I looked over to Darim who was on his horse.

“I will not be seeing you for a while.”

  I looked down to the horse and then back to Darim, “You either.”

“Harees,”

“Oui?”

“Come and visit every once in a while. I miss you and would love to see you every once in a while.”

  I smiled at Darim, “I will try. You should come to Italy and see Niccolò and I. He would like to you again sometime.”

  Darim nodded his head and then looked down to the box on the side of my horse.

“What one of your children are you going to give fathers old robes to?”

  I sighed, “Probably my eldest son. He liked father and looked up to father while we were here.” I sighed again, “If only I had stayed.”

“Harees, do not blame yourself for this. The Mongol has planned this attack for years now. They were ready, we were not.”

“But, do you know what this means?”

“No, what does this mean.”

“Masyaf will not belong to the Assassins. It will be in Templar hands,”

  Our horses started to walk out of Masyaf. I continued to talk as the horses made their way out of Masyaf.

“The place that this Creed started will be in Templar hands.”

  Darim just kept looking straight ahead. We got to the end of Masyaf and into the fork in the road. I would be heading far left while Darim would be going to the far right. Our horses stopped and we looked at each other for a moment. I looked in the direction I would be taking and then looked back over to Darim.

“Good travels, Darim.”

“Good travels, Harees.”

  I turned my head and then got my horse to start walking. I heard Darim’s horse start walking away from mine. I stopped my horse and looked back to my brother for the last time. My horse started to walk again towards the long road heading towards Cyprus.

-----------------------------

It's 1 o'clock AM, and I'm posting a new chapter. I must really love you guys.

Just a reminder, I'll be posting the final chapter next Friday. Sorry, no chapter on Tuesday. Anyway, yeah, just that reminder in case anybody forgot about it.

-hey895