Chapter 10: Family Moments

Year: 1223

Mongolia

My eyes slowly opened I blinked a couple of times before my vision got back to normal. I looked around to see where I was. I was back in my parents' house. In a way, I was happy that they came back for me but again, after what had happened, I did not want to face them for a while. I looked around and then tried to turn my body but I let out a groan and stayed where I was. I could hear footsteps come closer to me. I looked up to find Darim. He had a bowl and a cloth.

"Jai'yedah! You are up!"

He kneeled down beside me and dabbed the cloth in the water that was in the bowl. He then dabbed the cloth on my skin. That is when I realized that I was freezing cold. They had moved the bench close to the fire pit so I could warm up. He dabbed the cloth back in the water and then dabbed it on my forehead again.

"Where are Maria and Altaïr?"

He took the cloth away from my forehead and stared at me. He looked at me to see if I was joking but I was not. He started to dab the cloth on my forehead again and started to make his way down my face.

"In the stable." he whispered

"What are they doing in there?"

He removed the cloth from my face and dabbed it in the water. I could see his jaw clench and unclench. I turned my head so that I was looking at him. He was concentrated on dabbing the cloth in the warm water. I moved my hand so that it was on his cheek. He turned to me and with the most sincere look in my eyes and on my face, I asked again;

"Why is baaba [dad] and maama [mom] in the stable?"

His eyes started to get shiny and I could see he was on the verge of tears. If this is what I did to this family, I did not want to be a part of it. I did not want to make everybodys' life miserable. A tear rolled down his face and I wiped it with my thumb. He set the bowl and cloth down and looked at me.

"That is the first time you called them baaba and maama."

"That is because I mean it. They are my parents and yours. We should both be calling them baaba and maama."

He gave me a half grin and picked up the bowl. I took my hand away from his face and rested it on my side. I kept looking at him. He dabbed the cloth on my cheek. The warm cloth warmed me up a bit. When he was not looking I shed a tear, I thought I had done enough crying for one day but I guess I did not.

"Hey, how long have I been out for?"

"A couple of hours."

I looked at him. He was lying.

"Lair,"

"Okay, okay, you caught me! You have been out a whole day."

I looked at him and he was telling the truth. I have been passed out for a whole day!? Holy shit! I turned my head so that it was facing the ceiling. Darim stared at me for a couple of minutes before he continued to dab me with the cloth filled with warm water. I could feel my eyes getting heavy at the warmth of everything. He dabbed my forehead once more and then I could hear him walk off. My eyes started to close. Before I fell asleep, a pair of soft lips kissed my forehead and then whispered to me;

"Tisbahin ala khayr ahlam sa'ida. [goodnight, sweet dreams]"

* * *

I hear the fire crackle as my eyes opened up again. I probably slept another day. This time when I woke up, I was greeted by my parents. I blinked a few times before my vision got right. I looked around again to see if anything changed. Nothing, just the people I was welcomed to. I looked over to my mother. She was the one closest to me. I tried to sit up. I sat up but groaned on the way. I was so stiff and cold. I must have been lying in the snow for a while.