Chapter 24: A Small Victory Will Not Do Us Much Now

Year: 1225

Masyaf

  I woke up with sweat dripping down my face and I was breathing hard. It felt like I could not catch my breath. Like the air just disappeared from the cell and I was left with no air. Malik held my shoulder as he lifted me up from laying down. I looked around to remember where I was. I was still in this dreaded cell. I put my hand up to my forehead and wiped away the sweat that was dripping down from it.

“You had a nightmare. I tried waking you up but you would not wake up.”

  I looked around the room again and then down to my clothes that I had on. I swallowed and rested my head back on the wall. I looked out the only window there was in our cell. It was a small window and only let in a bit of light during the day. It was dark out so it was probably sometime after midnight. I looked back to Malik. The only light in this room was from the moon. I shook my head trying to erase the nightmare from my head but it was clear in my vision.

“How long have I been asleep?”

“A while. Abbas came for you but once he saw that you were sleeping and moving around, he smiled and let us be. I guess he knew you were having a nightmare.”

“Malik, it was about what they did to me.”

  He looked right in my eyes and they rested his hand on my face. He looked at me apologetically. A tear rolled down my face and he brought me in for a hug. I hugged him back because he was the only support I have. He pulled away from me and took a good look at me. I showed weakness in my eyes with fear and depression. Malik turned his head. He could not believe what he was seeing. One of the strongest master Assassins breaking. It was not a sight I wanted to see, but feeling it was worse. Malik looked back to me.

“What did they do to you?”

“Swami, he . . .”

  My voice trailed off. I was sore and in pain from the cuts and bruises. I was not going to be healed anytime soon and will not be able to keep up with this slow death thing if they kept this up. I would dead before they even wanted me to be dead. I looked down to my lap and started to play with my fingers. I let in a deep breath and then continued.

“He raped me.”

  Malik looked at me with confusion is his eyes but once I looked at him, he knew it was true. He got up and walked around angry at the fact that any Assassin would do that. I kept looking at him. I tried to get up and calm him down but I fell down. Malik was over by my side instantly. He held my elbow and just looked at me. I moved myself so I was sitting again. I looked at him and he looked at me and calmed down. He let out a breath and then looked to me.

“Why?” he whispered

“I knew I had to get through with it to keep us alive. If I did not, -which, I could not really do anything in the first place- he would have done it anyways and probably killed me and then you afterwards.”

“Why could you not do anything? You had a knife in your boot. You could have used that.”

  I shook my head, “I was bound down to the table they laid my on.”

  Malik looked down and shook his head in disapproval. He looked back up to me and over to the cell door. He was probably looking to see if Abbas came back. He looked back to me. He put his hand under my chin and gently tilting my head so that I was looking at him.

“I promise you, you will get the revenge you want. If it is the last thing I do, I promise revenge.”

  He looked serious. I just nodded my head. He took his hand down from my face and grabbed me for a hug. I hugged him back. A few seconds later we were disturbed by our cell door opening. We looked over and I gasped. Malik went in front of me trying to protect me. Swami smiled at both of us.