21

21

You decide to leave the body. Instead you keep your distance. Something about it just doesn’t feel fight. From where you stand you can see his neck. You notice two distinctive bite marks, trickling down with liquid blood. It’s unmistakable – the man was killed by a vampire!

Suddenly the dead man sits up and snarls at you with vampire fangs. Newly turned – his first instinct is to attack! He leaps upon you and tries to delivers a brutal punch – but you have time to react! You deflect his blow and throw him down to the ground. This vampire is wild and dangerous. There’s no reasoning with him. You pick a branch off the ground and plunge it through its demonic heart. You watch as he screams out into the night, disappearing at last in a harrowing cloud of dust and bone.

You look up. You notice a crow upon a branch. It’s watching you – waiting to see the move you make. You step forward, unsettled, as it flies down to the ground. Suddenly the crow begins to transform. Feathers turn to skin and claws turn to feet. You watch in awe as you realise the truth – you’ve just met a shapeshifter!

Do you talk to the shapeshifter? – go to part 40

Do you choose to run away? – go to part 41

Comment and vote before you decide!