Chapter 17

The brick walls reflected the dim glow of the lights making the atmosphere feel like a warming hug. Idle chatter melted with the aromas of busy kitchen that danced through the air around us. The wooden chair I sat in wasn't exactly the most comfortable of all seats, but the walk here had been long and I was thankful for the chance to sit down.

"Did you know this is the best Italian place in all of New York?" The Doctor sat across the small table that held our drinks and a small array of spice shakers.

"We're in New York, they all claim to be the best." I didn't shift my gaze from the menu. I was absolutely starving. I hadn't eaten in days. The Doctor and I had landed in New York after I had washed up and caught up on some sleep after the whole Cyberman predicament. We had been on our way to central park when my stomach had started growling and the Doctor had insisted we go somewhere for lunch. I wasn't complaining, the only reason I liked New York City was for the amazing restaurants.

"I bought this place to life, I know its the best."

"I thought you we.re British, not Italian."

The Doctor slammed his menu down on the table and looked at me sternly. "I'm Galifreyian!"

I glanced up from my own menu. "Just forget it, you helped found this place or whatever. Can we just order, I'm starving." I set the menu down and placed it on top of the Doctors. My glass of Coca-Cola was covered in beaded preparation and I wiped it off with a napkin before picking it up and taking a sip. Our waiter walked over to our table and placed a basket of steaming garlic bread down onto the table. I snatched a piece up and took a hearty bite out of it.

"So, have you figured out what you want to order?" The waiter asked pulling out a little pad of paper and a pencil. His Italian accent was incredibly thick and I could barely understand what he was saying, even with the TARDIS translating everything I heard.

"Adam, you go first."

I paused with the bread halfway to my mouth and looked up at the waiter. He was eyeing me impatiently.

"Uh...." I looked back down at the menu to refresh my memory. "Oh yeah, can I have that Mac n Cheese?"

"Really, Adam?" The Doctor crossed his arms and leaned back in his chair. "I take you to a 5 star place and you order something so, so...ordinary?"

I placed my finger down onto the menu where my meal choice was printed out in fancy script. "Excuse you, it says gourmet."

The Doctor rolled his eyes and handed the menus back to the waiter. "Just give me anything."

The waiter finished scribbling in his notepad, took our menus, and hurried off back into the kitchen.

I took another sip of my soda. "Also if this was a 5 star place we would have gotten kicked out by now."

"Would not!" The Doctor picked up his own piece of garlic bread and angerily took a bite out of it.

"Dude we got kicked out of Wal-Mart." I looked up at the brick wall to observe the many photographs that hung there. About ninety percent of them were old black and whites that portrayed a group of people, most likely the owners, standing outside of the reastruant. In the very first photograph on the end of the wall I spotted the Doctors face along with his bow tie standing between two men with handlebar mustaches. I guess he hadn't been pulling my leg when he said he brought this place to life after all.

The waiter came back and placed out orders down on the table in front of us. I didn't hesitate to dig in. I grabbed my fork and began shoveling the cheesy goodness into my mouth. The Doctor was right, this place did have amazing food. My stomache growled with delight as I continued eating.