Chapter 19

Running was the only thing I ever did anymore. I had run further than any track or cross country enthusiast could fathom. I tore through pairs of shoes as if they we.re made of paper. The rubber slapping down continuously until my toes peeked through into the open air. It was an addiction. Like an alcoholic craves a cold beer, I had begun to crave the feeling of the wind whipping through my hair, my clothes. I craved the adrenaline pumping through my veins while my heart beat fast enough to compose an upcoming debstep single.

There was always something to be running from. In my experience I had run through a maze of mirrors, each one containing a reflection that would reach out and grab me in a millisecond. I had run from an army of Amazonian women thirsty for my blood. Explosions, angry pursuers of the extra terrestrial type, cars that had formed a mind of their own...you name it. I have probably ran from it at one point or another. I've run from so many things, but is there anything I have ever run to?

Answers.

I have to know why I am wanted man. The Doctor had promised me we would find out, and thats exactly what we had been doing for so long now. We've scoured the universe looking for something, anything, that could give us a clue as to what makes me so special. I've entered seedy bars and black markets just to get a scrap of a clue. But no matter who we ask we are always answered in hushed tones telling us to go away, or nervous glances in my direction followed by harsh whispers letting me know that murderers aren't wanted in their presence. I still have a scar on my shoulder blade where an empty bottle made contact with my body as we we.re chased out of a cheap club.

Only once have I ever gotten anything close to an answer.

Recently I stood on a street corner while I waited for the Doctor to emerge from the building I had decided to lean up against.

"It's best you stay out here. Its obvious that when we place a name onto your face nobody will give us anything. I'll be back in a jiffy" the Doctor had told me before disappearing behind the cracked glass door. After a couple minutes an old man clad in rags and supporting himself with a knotted wooden cane rounded the corner. He approached me and took a good long look at my face before speaking.

"So, youre the infamous Adam Young?" he said chuckling lightly to himself. His shabby appearance made me slightly weary of him. I stood up straighter and pushed off the wall, ready to run if I had to. "Youre not as menacing looking as you're made out to be. You know that?"

"D-do you know something about me?" I asked hesitantly.

"Well sure! Lots of folks do! You're the talk of the town Mr. Young."

"How'd you know my name?"

"Heard you and your friend talking earlier. Seems like you want answers."

I nodded eagerly.

"Well...I'm not sure how you don't already know. But I bet you're better off finding out for yourself, it is a rather doozy dose of information." The man leaned further on his cane scratching the thin beard that hung down off his chin. "I will tell you this." The man took his cane and lifted it up to gingerly touch my chest with it. "When the time comes, when the storm arises, you listen to this." He tapped the cane a couple times over my heart. "Not this." He then took his cane and lifted it high in the air before bringing down onto my head with a bit of force. I let out a cry of pain and rubbed the spot on my scalp where I had been beaten.

"Thank you?" I said, but the man was gone before the words had escaped my mouth. The door to the building swung open and the Doctor tumbled out, his bow tie undone and hanging loosely around his neck while the left arm of his jacket was completley missing.