Epilogue

The crowd screams ecastically. My name is repeated throughout the venue, over and over like some sort of ancient chant. Thousands of smiling and laughing faces look up at the stage on which I stand in awe. I grin down at all of them, grabbing my guitar from nearby and slipping the strap over my head and across my shoulder.

“You guys are the best!” I say into the microphone. “Really, I couldn't have asked for a better group of people!” I position my fingers on the guitars neck and began strumming a tune. The crowd lets out a new wave of cheers and I find myself laughing in glee at their excitement.

This concert is the first performance I’ve done in almost a year and a half. Well, something along those lines. It felt so good to be back up here on the stage, playing my heart out or kids across the globe. I had forgotten how fulfilling the experience was, I can't imagine why I would ever give this up.

It’s been a year since I packed my things and left the magical world of the Doctor and his blue box. It’s taken a while to readjust to living a normal life after spending so long skipping through time as I pleased. But now that I was back, I was happy.

The Doctor brought me back to a few days after he had originally picked me up. It was almost as if I had never left at all.

“Well Adam, I guess this is it...” The Doctor had said, stepping out of his ship and setting foot on my slightly overgrown lawn.

“Yeah...I guess so.” I replied to him, slinging my bag of things over my shoulder. My arm was still in a sling and parts of my body we.re still slightly sore. “Thank you. For everything. Despite everything that happened, it was a good ride.”

The Doctor nodded. Sadness played at the edge of his pale green eyes. He wasn't going to admit it, but he wasn't happy to see me go. In our time together I had become rather close to him, and although I was still slightly angry at him for leaving me alone that day, I was sad to be leaving him as well. But the TARDIS wasn't my home, it was his. My home was here, on earth.

“No, thank you. It was an honor to call you my companion.”

I smiled. “Will I ever see you again?”  

The Doctor shrugged. I knew what his answer was going to be. He didn't go back for people after they left. “Perhaps. You never know. Something may happen here in Owatonna and you’ll need me to swoop in and take out...corn monsters or something.”

I laughed. The Timelord stepped forward and gave me a hug. I wasn't the biggest hug enthusiast alive, but I wrapped my arms around his tweed clad torso and hugged him back.

“I’ll see you later, Feather Brain.” The Doctor ended the hug and took a step back, ruffling my hair he pulled away.

“See you later.”

The Doctor turned away from me and stepped back into the TARDIS. He looked over his shoulder to get one last look at me before he slammed the door shut. I stood and watched as the blue police box slowly dematerialized, on its way to another adventure.

The next day, I visited my parents. Although I had recently learned we were not biologically related, it didn't alter the amount of love I held for them in my heart. They had raised me, loved me, helped me make my way in this world. I wanted to see them, bathe myself in the warmth of my mothers hug and the companionship with my father. In my time with the Doctor I had learned not to take such small things in life for granted.

I had a lot of questions to answer upon arriving to my childhood home.

“What happened to your arm?”

“And your neck?”

“You look as if you’ve aged since we last saw you a few weeks ago!”